Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for a new system

Posted by mcneal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 22:44

Two phase question. I am looking to replace the Htg/ac units in my Atlanta, Ga home. current units are 18 years old and have been very reliable - Tempstar 5000.

1. I am thinking about a dual fuel hp/80% furnace. I hear hp's are more efficient but Atlanta can be cold - at least to my southern bones - and gas is pretty cheap here. Is this a good approach vs gas furnace and ac?

2. The first contractor to give me a bid is in love with Heil equipment. He has proposed:
upstairs unit
Heil 15 seer Dual Fuel
HXH536GKA heatpump
END4X37T17A upflow coil
G8MXN0701716A gas furnace

lower unit
HXH524GKA heat pump
END4X30T17A upflow coil
G8MXN0701716A

Contractor would need to replace one of the current lines and states that he can flush the current 3/8 line and reuse.
With digital thermostats, dual fuel controls and 2 4" Honeywell media filters, sightglass on the refrig line. Some reworking of existing ductlines and sealing seams on returns.

Installed quote is $11,587.

I will be getting other quotes but I am not familiar with Heil and I cannot find info on these specific units any info would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for a new system

dual fuel is the way to go especially in Atlanta. Heatpump will handle most of your heating (comfortably and inexpensively). You will have the gas for the extra cold weather and defrost cycles. This type of setup will save you money now, and give you flexibility incase either fuel gets expensive. Heatpumps don't cost much more than straight A/C. So when replacing the A/C is the time to upgrade to a heatpump.

I think Heil is made by comfortmaker. Should be quality equipment. I've seen comfortmaker around my area and it is good equipment. You could ask how much of an upgrade cost it would be to go to 95% efficient furnace but thats probably overkill for your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here