Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tigerloop vs. 2 pipe vs. 1 pipe system?

Posted by bas157 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 22:41

Pretty sure I'm replacing my oil tank in the near future with a Roth double wall tank. Currently I just have the standard oval 275 gal tank in my basement with 1 line running to the burner.

1 company said they like to install a 2 pipe system, one to the burner and another back to the tank.

The next company said they install a Tigerloop which he said is better than the 2 pipe system.

I found an article online explain why the Tigerloop is better than the 2 line system, but it was written by a VP of Westwood, who are the national distributor of the Tigerloop, so I would have to think the article could be biased.

So, which do you think is better, a 2 pipe system, 1 pipe system, or a Tigerloop, and why?

Thanks
Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Tigerloop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tigerloop vs. 2 pipe vs. 1 pipe system?

I don't like two-line oil systems since they're constantly circulating oil through the filter(s), pump strainer and the oil is cold.

In situations where the return line is out of plain view like outdoor tanks, underground storage tanks or under mobile homes, the pressurized return line could leak and the system would still run so the homeowners wouldn't be alerted of an issue.

In the field many filters really are really undersized considering the amount of oil they're circulating with two line oil systems. We generally convert most two line oil systems to single line systems or install a TigerLoop and remove compression fittings, check valves bad fittings, bad flares or any other sources of vacuum leaks and potential future problems.

o

If your tank is located in the vicinity and on the same floor as your burner, why do you think that you need anything more than a single line? If you're not having problems, you don't.

A tigerloop is used when your burner is much higher than the tank (one case).

o

Some double-wall tank and other tank manufacturers have recommended Tigerloop or Afriso de-aerators due the the increased vacuum of suction assemblies.

"On 1-pipe systems (burner supply only) the Roth Suction Assembly will increase the vacuum on the line to 1.7" Hg. When using the Suction Assembly on 1-pipe systems we strongly recommend using an oil de-aerator such as a TigerLoop to ensure proper burner operation."

Here is a link that might be useful: Roth Installation Instructions

o

Sounds good to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here