Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much water?

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 22:37

After a couple hours of AC operation should there be any water in the secondary pan?
It seems to me there would be a steady volume of water coming off of the coils and not a surge of water, causing it to overflow into the secondary pan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much water?

you have a stoppage or leak

o

Should not be any water in pan. Make sure your condensation line is routed properly with no reverse slopes. Sounds like a possible airlock in the line to me.

o

I now believe there is a leak in the pan. Would you share some of your experiences of where in the pan it might be leaking? I am pretty darn sure the coil box has been mounted with an appropriate angle. Thank you for your help.
Tim

o

The pan is placed below the air handler to catch an overflow of the condensation in the air handler. There should never be any water in it. If there is water in the pan something is not right. Any water that does collect in the pan would exit via an overflow tube (call it a SECONDARY drain)which should be outside in some area you would notice it. If you see water from this pipe it needs to be addressed.
The "angle" I was refering to is your PRIMARY DRAIN LINE. If it is plugged up (it does happen) or is not routed correctly it will cause an overflow into the pan. If the pan is leaking that needs to be corrected also, but you need to discover the reason for the overflow in the first place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here