Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central heating room control

Posted by zagyzebra (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 22:32

Is there no way to control individual room heating with central heating? I have a two-story home in temperate ocean-influenced So Cal climate. I am about to face a complete renovation on my home, and was just wondering if there was any way to prevent the downstairs from being heated when I'm upstairs, or if there is a way to control heating room by room with central heating.

It seems like such a waste to blow heat through the whole house all at once when you're only occupying say, the kitchen and living room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central heating room control

Heat pump mini-splits may be a solution. Zoned forced air is another option. It will cost you more to do zoning.

o

Central heating is not a commonly used term. Are you talking forced air? Then zoning is your answer.

The thing about heating (and a/c) is that you don't really save all that much by zoning. Mostly zoning is a comfort thing like I use it to freeze our bedroom at night but our infant sleeps 10 degrees higher. It is also good for heating the living room more than say the bedrooms in general - but more for comfort than cost savings.

Now - old house in cold area - yeah you are saving some. But in SoCal - you are not talking money. You generally are spending $3-$5000 for zoning to save less than $100 a year. Probably less than $50 a year. So don't do it hoping you are going to save money.

I remember living on a boat and I think I had a little fan powered 800 watt electric heater. I mean what is the usual winter low - 50?. I would think most houses would only need heat 20 nights a year and that was because of a cloudy/smoggy day....

o

Thank you for your input, David and Ionized! I do believe you are right, David, about the extra cost not being worth the meager savings. But I had to ask, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here