Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier quote - is this a good price and system?

Posted by yeonandjamie (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 21:49

I'm considering going with a contractor recommended to me by my next door neighbor. The quote given is as follows for 2-ton units:

(2) Carrier Performance Series Heat Pump Model #25HPA6
(2) Carrier Performance Series Variable Speed Air Handler Model #FV4
(2) Carrier Performance Series Thermostat Model #TC-PHP

I have a 2 story colonial-style house and there's no ductwork so the contractor will put in all new ductwork as well as 2 systems, one for each floor. The total is $18,250.

Are these good systems? should I consider others? He also gave me 2 other options:

1) Two Goodman variable speed air handlers with electric back-up heat.
Two Goodman (2 ton) 16 SEER heat pump systems. Total $14,900

2) Two York variable speed air handlers with electric back-up heat.
Two York (2 ton) 16 SEER heat pump systems. Total $17,500

I didn't get any model numbers for the Goodman and York systems though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier quote - is this a good price and system?

Don't do the Goodman models. I would consider the York. York heatpumps have demand defrost which the carrier does not. Carrier makes good equipment too.
York is often forgotten about, but they make good equipment with alot of features that some company's don't include. Its quiet equipment too.

o
RE: Carrier quote - is this a good price and system?

The Carrier Performance 25HPA6 are two stage heat pumps. Are the Goodman and York also two stage equipment? You should have model numbers for all quotes.

The two stages provide better comfort, and may some operating costs. The TC-PHP is a basic 5-day thermostat. Ask about upgrading the thermostats to Infinity controllers. You will be able to control the humidity in the summer and have several other nice features.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here