Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need urgent furnace advice....

Posted by rasmich (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 21:49

I also posted this on the new home forum. I had a melt down this evening. The HVAC guys put they furnace in and I'm not happy about where the put it. They tell me it can't be placed anywhere else, but it completely ruins the flow of the basement- and my plans to finish the basement once we move in. The HVAC guys and I are meeting at 8AM tomorrow and we are going to talk about options. We wanted it in the back corner by the sump-pump and 2 months ago when we went over things they agreed. We also offered to have them move it to next to the hot water tank along the side of the stairs, but they said that won't work either. I just think they don't want to move it and change the ducts. Any advice about what we can do or where we could put it is greatly appreciated.

The other issue is my specs call for a 96% efficient furnace or equal. But a 92% was put in. Should I make a big deal out of this or are they equal?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need urgent furnace advice....

I can see why you would want the furnace in the corner by the sump pump. But it is not a good spot for the furnace. Ideally the furnace should be centrally located in order to keep the long duct runs as short as possible. You also want the duct work to run parrallel to the ceiling joists as much as possible since you are planning to finish the basement. I can't tell from the drawing, but it looks like if you moved the furnace next to the stairs you would be on the other side of the main support beam. The duct work will have to bend down under it. The bottom of the duct may be too low for minimum code height. If so, you won't be able to make it part of the finished space.

There is not much difference in efficiency between a 92% and 96% furnace. However there could be a difference in the features. Do you have the brand and model numbers of the two furnaces?

o

I'm a custom builder and keeping the furnace central and near or under a low-hanging I-beam is exactly what I do.

It's the most efficient location for even heating/cooling and it allows me to hide the beam and posts in central closets/service areas and bathrooms, which often have lowered ceilings anyway.

If you contracted for a 96% efficient furnace that's what you should get if it is available in a timely manner.

o

That corner where the sump pump is the wrong place for a furnace from an HVAC point of view. Did you and they, or your GC not have an ongoing dialogue about it?

Beside the stairs would appear to be a good spot but of course we're not really seeing it.

For them to move it now would (I would think) mean re-doing pretty much all the ductwork. That's huge.

As for the furnace, I'd see what they have to say but you should get what you're paying for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here