Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annestrauss

Evaporator Coil for new Carrier we are buying

annestrauss
10 years ago

Any idea which Carrier Evaporator is best for the system (see below)

Carrier AC we are buying, Model 24ANB748A003
Carrier Furnace we are buying, Model 59MN7A100v21-22
EVAPORATOR COIL ?
Media Cabinet 4" filter
WiFi Thermostat

Any assistance appreciated

Comments (17)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Application does matter. Matching size does matter. You want a Carrier ALA matching coil. Rely on your dealer.

Get the model number and post. I will verify the performance/efficiency numbers from AHRI Directory.

IMO

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Besides the evaporator model number ,is there anything else I should ask, other than furnace & AC model numbers, I already posted? Thanks Anne

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You want to ask how were the sizes of the equipment determined. Bigger is not better when it comes to HVAC.

You should also ask for an evaluation of the duct work. It also needs to be the proper size in order for the equipment to work properly.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I agree with Mike.

What size is your home? Age? Home's insulation properties?

Your location?

What size and eff furnace are you replacing?

What size AC condenser?

Pst back.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Still expect to see coil Mdl number dealer is recommending...

IMO

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a call in for A Coil/Evaporator Coil model number. Thanks Anne

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got tigerdunes, here it is:

CNPVP4821ALA

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Iowa. The house is 15 years old. The original contractor did a J load for the builder. They decided on a 100000 BTU 80% Furnace. The original AC was a 3 1/2 Ton. In the hottest months when the temperature was in the 90s we couldn't cool the house below 82 degrees until 6 at night as the sun went down. The back of our house faces west and there is a lot of glass. The builder had the contractor come back & re-evaluate. The contractor tried some tweaks which I've forgotten by now. In the end the contractor took out the 10 seer 3 1/2 ton AC with a 4 ton blower, and put in a 10 seer 4 ton AC with a 5 ton blower. We lived happily ever after other than how frigging loud it is in the house.

We live in a Ranch style house with 2,200 square feet in the main level. There is 1,650 sq ft finished on the lower level. The lower level is a walkout with 9' ceilings. Most of the finished space is above ground. We also have 550 sq ft of unfinished space that is unfinished.

That's my story. Thanks for all of your help. Anne

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

A nice system that qualifies for Fed Tax Credit.

6406559 Active Systems INFINITY 17 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANB748A**31 CNPV*4821AL*+UI 1300 1040 59*N*A100V21**22 47500 13.00 16.20 1 RCU-A-CB 355 Yes

The furnace quoted is actually larger than your existing. I would definitely drop down to same model furnace but 80 K size.

6406558 Active Systems INFINITY 17 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANB748A**31 CNPV*4821AL*+UI 1300 1040 59*N*A080V21**20 47500 13.00 16.20 1 RCU-A-CB 355 Yes

IMO

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Our current furnace is a 100,000 BTU 80%, are you saying they're the same size because of the higher efficiciency of the new one?

I had 3 Carrier quotes and 2 said go with the 100,000 BTU & one said go with the 80,000 BTU. In the winter it is easy to heat the upper level and more difficult to keep the lower level warm.

This stuff is confusing, I want to try & do what is right.

Thanks again to all responders. Anne

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For the price of a premium system you are considering, insist on a written load caculation for correct sizing on software letterhead at point of order.

Most people do not realize that finished basements at or even partially below grade have low heat and cooling requirements. Sounds to me you need a top to bottom evaluation of ductwork sizing/design particularly for areas with poor comfort issues both in heating and cooling. Usually there is a reason like the ductwork. Discuss with your dealer.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Agree with TD. Noise issues are ductwork related. Higher efficiency systems will move more air than the older systems 15+ years ago because the variable speed motors are smarter and will work harder to move the programmed air volume even at higher duct pressures -- caused both by undersized and poorly designed ductwork (likely the route cause of your comfort problems as well, not equipment capacity/tonnage). This creates the air movement noise that you hear. So yes, the 100k furnace will be louder than the 80k furnace if ductwork modifications are not made (it would likely not use high stage much, however). If a load calculation were done properly I would not at all be surprised to see the 80k furnace be more than enough. The output capacity of the 97% efficient 80k btu furnace is not much less than that of the older 80% efficient 100k furnace. I might call back the one that said go with the 80k.

Yes you do want the Carrier aluminum coil. That is what you listed above as confirmed by TD.

Best course of action is to have the dealers inspect your ductwork and make corrections to match the air volume requirements of whichever size system your home needs. They need to start by measuring external static pressure (ESP) while the system is running. If nobody within the company you are considering has the ability or knowledge to do this, that is a red flag and they are throwing larger equipment on inadequate duct systems. This is bad and affects performance. You lived with it for a while; then they put what I would consider a "bandaid" fix on it with the oversized condenser and blower to compensate for undersized ducting. The result was more noise and less efficient operation, but more air volume. With your new system, I would hope the dealer you select works toward providing you with a quiet and more efficient system. Good luck and please keep us posted.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:47

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone give me a ballpark fair price for the equipment listed below? It is replacing an existing system. Other than adding a pipe for the modulating furnace (about 15' to the outside wall) it should be pretty normal.

Carrier AC we are buying, Model 24ANB748A003
    Carrier Furnace we are buying, Model 59MN7A100v21-22
    EVAPORATOR COIL CNPVP4821ALA
    Media Cabinet 4" filter
    WiFi Thermostat

Thanks Anne

This post was edited by annestrauss on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 13:06

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

That furnace is oversized!....

About 10-11 K would be a reasonable price for my area, maybe not yours.

Keep in mind there will be Carrier rebates in a system like this beginning sometime this month. Ask your dealer, he should already know all details.

IMO

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Google "DOE duct leakage" and read. That is why you want a duct system analysis before you spend a penny on new equipment. I think your initial problems were all duct related and were compensated for with bigger blower (more expensive to operate, noisier, etc). The original HVAC guy must have been a car guy. No substitute for Horsepower...and cubic inches. IN other words, the contractor solved HIS problem, not yours. You have paid the penalty for those mistakes. I'd go with the high efficiency 80Kbtu, once you are satisfied the ducting is properly done. Carrier.

• annestrauss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can someone tell me which Humidifier would match up best to the system we are buying soon ? Thanks Anne

Best Carrier Performance Series Humidifier for Carrier Infinity Furnace 59M7A100V21-22

Carrier Infinity 24ANB748A003
    http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/humidifiers/

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The furnace is oversized.

Too bad you won't pay attention.

I am through with this thread.

Sorry for your mistake.

TD