Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobsterclaw_gw

Is this a reasonable estimate?

LobsterClaw
12 years ago

Hello All - Our upstairs A/C unit isn't cooling at all (a 3.5 ton Goodman, roughly 7-8 years old). We have a home warranty and the contractor that came out did a leak test said the capillary tubes look like "swiss cheese". They said our options are:

-replace the capillary tubes, which the home warranty would completely pay for, but we'd likely be having problems at least a couple of times a year

-replace the coil (probably $400-$600 out-of-pocket for us in excess of what the warranty would pay), which may end up buying us a couple of years (they thought around a week for the part)

-replace the system with a new compressor and coil, at about $5,700 (this was a quote for a bottom-of-the-line Amana Distinctions 3.5 ton, which as I understand it is basically identical to a Goodman) - $800 more if we wanted a full 10-year warranty for parts AND labor

That pricing for the full system replacement seemed rather high to me for what is essentially one of the cheapest systems on the market. Am I correct, or is that actually in-line with what you would expect?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)