Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a reasonable estimate?

Posted by LobsterClaw (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 21:31

Hello All - Our upstairs A/C unit isn't cooling at all (a 3.5 ton Goodman, roughly 7-8 years old). We have a home warranty and the contractor that came out did a leak test said the capillary tubes look like "swiss cheese". They said our options are:
-replace the capillary tubes, which the home warranty would completely pay for, but we'd likely be having problems at least a couple of times a year
-replace the coil (probably $400-$600 out-of-pocket for us in excess of what the warranty would pay), which may end up buying us a couple of years (they thought around a week for the part)
-replace the system with a new compressor and coil, at about $5,700 (this was a quote for a bottom-of-the-line Amana Distinctions 3.5 ton, which as I understand it is basically identical to a Goodman) - $800 more if we wanted a full 10-year warranty for parts AND labor

That pricing for the full system replacement seemed rather high to me for what is essentially one of the cheapest systems on the market. Am I correct, or is that actually in-line with what you would expect?

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a reasonable estimate?

That estimate is definitely too high. Prices do vary depending on where you are in the country, but you can order a 3.5 ton A/C unit online for under $2,000 and installation should be no more than $1,000 at the high end. My suggestion is that you do the following:
(1) Take a look at www.hvacandwater.com to find out typical price ranges for different central A/C units
(2) Use a service like Service Magic or Quality Smith to solicit free quotes from qualified local contractors for your job

You should be able to lower that price by at least $2K.

Here is a link that might be useful: HVAC and Water Site - Great Info on A/C Pricing

o
RE: Is this a reasonable estimate?

Lobster

If you replace the coil, what is the warranty?

I personally would ask the home warranty company for a settlement and then ditch them for a good 13 SEER condenser with matching coil.

Pls no low end Goodman.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here