Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtoogirls

New construction, AC freezing up/leaking

momtoogirls
9 years ago

We are in the process of building a new home and about to close on it in two weeks. Last week when noticed there was water pooling around the AC/furnace area in the basement. Not a lot but just a good size puddle. We came back the next day to make sure it stopped since the AC unit had just been installed. It appeared completely dry. A week later we went back (today) and there is pooling again all under the ac/furnace area, plus all the tubing in the ceiling from the AC unit to the furnace (all along basement ceiling) it dripping moisture and freezing up in some spots...we can see white frosty stuff appearing around the insulation. We immediately called our construction manager, and he says that this is actually pretty common, as they ship the AC units without the full amount of coolant or Freon (forgive me, I forget exact way he worded it and I have NO clue as to what I'm talking about :) ) , and that once they turn this units on, they need to be serviced and the proper amount of coolants added. Does this sound right to you? My husband says he thinks it must mean there is a leak in the system...which is concerning. Obviously as a new build, we will have a warranty in place, but I'm still wondering if this is normal or does it sound right?

Comments (10)

• klem1
    9 years ago

No it isn't normal and your construction manager is either clueless or a liar. In any event I see no sense in you trying to figure this out and I can't believe you created an account to ask.

• pfoley
    9 years ago

Yes, this is true. freon shipped with the unit may not be enough because every house is different. After the system is installed, the AC tech has to check the freon level to make sure it is charged correctly. This should be done right after the install. If not, You need to ask the builder/AC tech to do this ASAP, ask them to get this job completed before the closing.

This post was edited by pfoley on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 1:04

• momtoogirls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help PFoley. Our construction manager said he would have it serviced today. According to the builder this is very "common" (adding Freon) after AC installs but I'm obviously no expert.

Is there any way that this indicates a LEAK in the system?

Thanks for your help.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

If the coolant is low (it is not freon) the coil could ice up. When the AC shuts off, the ice melts and you may get a puddle of water.

The installer either did not add the proper amount of coolant or the coolant was added and there is a leak. It would have to be a pretty bad leak to cause a freeze up so quickly. My thinking is it was a bad installation from the beginning.

You should monitor this carefully. Builders tend to hire the cheapest HVAC contractors. The equipment and installation are not the best.

• momtoogirls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help Mike. I will be watching and checking for any more moisture. Once the builder or AC service person checks the unit will they be able to tell if there is a leak? That is my concern and I don't want them to tell me it just needed more coolant if in fact there is a leak. Is that something that can be fixed easily or will they have to bring in a whole new AC unit?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The most likely spot for a leak on a new unit is where the lineset (copper tubing) has been soldered together. If it is a bad leak you may see some moisture. If it is a very small leak you may not see anything. If you are ambitious you could be put a soap solution on the joint to and look for bubbles.

A joint leak can be repaired. If coil or condenser is leaking it will mean a replacement. The important thing is to monitor the AC closely the rest of this summer and next summer. You only have a one year warranty.

• pfoley
    9 years ago

This is a brand new system, chances to have a leak is very small because the builder does not like that either. any problem with the house will waste their time and money. To find out if there is a leak is not that easy, especilly if the leak is a small one. However, assume you do not have HVAC gauges, but you can do this: watch/check the temperature of the large pipe near outside condenser, should be cold and wet. check it every day at the same time of the day (means at the same outside temp). If it gets warmer, you have a problem, or possible leak. Also check the temp difference between incoming cold air and return air inside your house (again same time of the day,use the same register). they should be the same always(around 16-20). if not, there is a problem.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"...chances to have a leak is very small because the builder does not like that either..."

The builder also doesn't like to have to pay the additional cost to hire HVAC contractors who will spend the time and money to do a quality installation. If he did we would not be having this conversation.

• momtoogirls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for both of your help! I'm so glad there are such helpful people on here. I am really questioning the installation job and asked that the construction manager have my AC fully inspected for leaks, poor installation or anything else that could be wrong. I will follow up when I know something!

• momtoogirls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to follow up and that we were told the coolant was low, more was added, and also they replaced the coil. The system was leak checked and did not show anything. Since they replaced the coil and added the coolant it seems to be working fine...hoping it stays that way!! Thanks for all of your help!