Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room is 139 sq feet and need to know of 10,000

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 20:03

btu's for a window ac unit is too big?

My 6500 btu unit has about seen it's last days and need to get a new one. Hard to fine the 6500 btu's now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room is 139 sq feet and need to know of 10,000

Even not knowing all the factors such as part of the country, insulation, glazing, room orientation etc., if 6500 btu's did the trick don't get a bigger unit. 10,000 btu's is overkill and will result in poor humidity removal/higher relative humidity. Don't do it!

o
RE: Rvvvoom is 139 sq feet and need to know of 10,000

Thank you!

o
RE: Room is 139 sq feet and need to know of 10,000

I see some 5000s and 6000s. If yours was keeping you plenty cool on the worst days, you might consider going down in size. Was the 6500 cycling on the hottest days?

I notice that the newer window units typically have the blower set to run continuously, even when the compressor is not going. That tends to increase humidity. That can be bad in humid climates. Look for a model that allows you to run the fan only with the compressor. This is sometimes called an "economy mode". Temps will tend to vary in the room somewhat more, but it is worth it.

As roadking advised, don't oversize!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here