Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does this 3-ton Amana AC System match up?

Posted by hamconsulting (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 19:55

I really like this particular dealer and he will do a quality install. When I placed the call for a quote, I asked for Am Std equipment. Somehow my request for a specific brand was missed or ignored.

Any help would be appreciated on how well this Amana system matches up. My own Manual J calculation says I need 36K BTUs for cooling and 31K BTUs for heating. Here is the system:

Amana ASX140361 Condenser, 34,600 BTUs, 14-SEER
Amana AMH80603BX Gas Furnace, 80% AFUE, 60K BTU, 2-Stage, Multi-speed, 1200 CFM
Aspen Horizontal Coil CE36A34140R004
Honeywell Programmable Thermostat 5000

I'm concerned about the coil and I can't tell if the blower in the furnace matches the needed 3-ton for the a/c. The above system would be in lieu of the system I really want:

AS Gold SI (Allegiance 13) AC Condenser, 3-Ton, Model 4A7A3036, 14 SEER, R-410A refrigerant
AS Silver XI (Freedom 80) Gas Furnace; 80% AFUE, 60K BTU; 3-Ton High Eff Blower, Model = AUD1B060A9H31B
AS Evaporator Coil, Model = 4TXCB048BC3HCA
AS Programmable Thermostat, Model = ACONT803

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does this 3-ton Amana AC System match up?

Not a fan of Goodman/Amana brand and do not like to see dealers quote third party coils on brand new systems.

IMO

o

I'm having difficulty finding a good am std dealer. Independent dealers seem to have their preferred equipment. Most quotes leave out brand and/or specif model numbers. I've had to ask every single time.

So far, I've gotten quotes for amana, Lennox, am std, and working on another quote for am std. I might have to switch to trane just to see if I have better luck.

I'm still on a quest to find a dealer that will install a good ac system at a reasonable price.

o

if you ask the contractor to provide you ARI REF number you will get some better luck. Then you can look up those certified number on the webpage
http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridirectory/pages/ac/defaultSearch.aspx
This way the unit can not be mixed up. Read this webpage for more info about them
http://www.cozyworld.ca/ari_reference_number.html

o

Thanks for the tip on the ARI ref number and ARI web site.

o

I've learned how to use the AHRI web site, so i can now match my own systems.

I couldn't find the system proposed by the dealer in the AHRI web site with the Amana AMH80603BX Gas Furnace. I need to replace the furnace to a variable speed one like the ADVC80604B*A*. With this change, the dealer proposed system gives me a SEER of 14.5 and EER of 11.7.

However, in order to get a slightly higher EER...I would need to get this system instead:

ARI REF # = 5188443
Amana 3-ton condenser = ASX140361C*
Amana coil = CHPF3642D6C*
Amana 80% AFUE 60K BTU gas furnace = ADVC80603B*B*
EER = 12.20
SEER = 14.50

Original price was $5600 with new lineset, but don't know what the price is with either of my changes. No rebates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here