Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safety concerns

Posted by uncomfortable123 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 19:39

We are renting a home that is two construction site trailors put together to form a double wide.On the back of each half there are HVAC units attached hanging from the roofs (very old). The units are outside of two bedrooms. The only return vents are the ones in the bed rooms where the unit is attached to the walls.When the AC guy comes by to work on the units all he has to do is remove the "return" vents from our bedroom walls to actually get inside the unit to work on them.When the units come on they suck our bedroom doors open.We keep our thermostats (one digital for each unit) set on 75 but our home never gets below 83 degrees until about 8pm in the evening with both units running and they never kick off. The land lord and AC guy tell us EACH of these units are enough to cool 3000 sq ft. So 6000 sq ft. Obviously our home is no where near that large. My biggest question would be is this a "legal" setup for a home? I don't trust that one of these things aren't going to catch on fire and hurt my family. We signed a lease but with my safety concerns and the fact that my electric bill is 400.00 a month (yes 400.00) I just don't know what to do.I like it here but I am just wondering if I am over reacting and if this whole setup is safe for my family. I live in NC and wonder if this is up to code here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safety concerns

Legal? - that is always difficult to answer. It would not be legal to build that new as it wouldn't be up to code but code is not meant to be used for an old structure. There might be some rules on safety but I don't think anyone can answer that based on your description.

I know you are hoping to get out of your lease by posing some legal issue and unfortunately that isn't going to happen. NC has some of the best laws if you are a landlord (where NY has some of the most tenant friendly laws).

There is nothing about the setup you describe that is unsafe. A/C units aren't exactly fire prone. They can run all day long and that isn't a fire concern. Now there maybe other issues with your house but by itself, the a/c setup isn't one.

One has to wonder, with you electric bills, if you wouldn't be better off breaking your lease and getting out of there. A small house in NC should be less than $100 a month.

o
RE: Safety concerns

Yes I agree with everything you said.Yes you are right it is more of a needing to break my lease do to the high electric bill.I am a full time employee at a hospital so its not that I cant pay,it's that I feel my money could be better spent.I have also been told by neighbors the bill is even worse in the winter and I am honestly concerned I cant handle it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here