Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on American Standard or Bryant central air please (3k ton)

Posted by cinnamonsworld (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 19:10

I'm looking at getting either a 3,000-ton (36BTU) Bryant central air unit (compressor/heatpump/programmable thermostat - $3.8k) or just a (same size) American Standard compressor outside ($2k) that would replace a more-than-20-year-old American Standard unit of the same size. This is for a second-home in Florida, and I'd be using a very reputable and known A/C guy.

These prices would not be for extremely high-efficiency units, but basically what they recommend will do the job well economically.

Any thoughts on whether just going with the replacement compressor outside will probably be fine (given that it's the same make; the issue is that the old compressor finally gave out)? Any other recommendations?

I see that Bryant has the Evolution, Preferred and legacy line ... and for this purchase I'm primarily interested in how well it all works (the old one was fine for years) and say initial and first-year costs. It looks like there are a lot of Bryant programmable thermostat options also (though don't know if what they are hoping to put in will also have a wide choice ... not interested in lots of zone tweaking etc.).

Still waiting on model numbers from them, this is just what I know so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on American Standard or Bryant central air please (3k

These are heat pumps or straight AC condensers?

Just the outside condenser? No matching evap coil?

How do you heat? Your location? Coastal or inland?

Can not offer an opinion without knowing all the facts including model numbers.

Post back.

IMO

o
RE: Advice on American Standard or Bryant central air please (3k

2k to replace compressor only? Ugh. I bet a salt air environment has taken its toll on condenser plating. Won't be long till you have additional leaks in piping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here