Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier A/C Model 38CKC030-340 repair question

Posted by efficiency5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:50

My a/c doesn't seem to be working properly again. I have a long history of problems with this unit and I am hoping someone will have some good advice for me. I live in Michigan. My house is 3500 sf plus a finished basement. House has two compressors and it is my upstairs unit that gives us the problems. I don't think I have ever been able to get the upstairs cooled below 70 even on a mild summer day. Here is some background info:

May, 2005
New construction with new unit (Carrier Model 38CKC030-340)

July, 2006
A/C not working well. Repairman says "too much freon" and "puts correct amount".

July, 2007
Not working again. Repairman says "compressor valves are bad." He installs new compressor, liquid dryer and suction dryer.

May, 2009
Not working again. Repairman adds 2 lb R22 freon.

June, 2009
Working ok. Repairman out for another reason. Checks this unit and adds 1 lb R22 freon.

July, 2009
Not working again. Repairman says "Plugged outdoor coil". Replaces compressor, capacitor, and filter dryer.

July, 2011
Not working "well." Repairman adds "small amount" of freon.

So I am about to call the cooling company back now because although it is only 78 degrees out, I can't cool my upstairs below 72. I think I should be able to get my upstairs COLD in these conditions. Am I wrong? Also, three compressors in seven years???

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier A/C Model 38CKC030-340 repair question

If the the tech needs to add refrigerant then you have a leak. The correct fix is to repair the leak.

Did you pay the labor costs for the new compressors? I would be suspicious as to whether the compressor needed replacement. If they did, then it may be due to installation problems.

Have you considered hiring a new HVAC company? This one sounds like trouble. And you should be able to have the upstairs at 72 when it is 78 outside.

o
RE: Carrier A/C Model 38CKC030-340 repair question

Thanks Mike. The first time they replaced the compressor, I paid just the $300 labor charge as they said the unit was under warranty. The second replacement was completely free of charge. Most of the freon adds I paid for, I think one was free. I have resisted going somewhere else so this company wouldn't be able to tell me that some other place damaged my equipment. I think it might be time to move on, but I want to be more educated before this cylce continues much longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here