Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artgecko_gw

Suggestions on packaged heat pumps, please?

artgecko
9 years ago

Hi gang,

I've been Googling to find information on packaged heat pumps, and found several helpful posts here on GardenWeb. But I could find very little information about packaged units, so I decided to join and ask a question.

My old Trane 3 ton 10 SEER all electric packaged heat pump failed for the final time this weekend, and I'm shopping for a replacement. Four local companies have come out, done load calculations, and submitted proposals.

I realize that the quality of the installation and competence of the installer is as, if not more, important than the brand. But all things being equal, I'd like to know how the pros would rank the following models. All are 3 ton w/10 kW supplemental heat strips.

Amana APH15M 14.5 SEER 12 EER 8.0 HSPF
Carrier 50VR 15.5 SEER 12 EER 8.5 HSPF
Am Std Gold XM 14.25 SEER ? EER 8.0 HSPF
Trane XL-16c 16.4 SEER 13.4 EER 9.0 HSPF
Rheem RQPL 14.0 SEER 12.0 EER 8.0 HSPF

Old Trane was 10.0 SEER, 9.5 EER, 6.8 HSPF

With factory rebates, electric company rebates, and tax breaks, the Trane, Am Std, Amana, and Carrier are closely priced, with the Rheem about $1000 less.

All have similar warranties (10/10/1) other than Amana which has a lifetime compressor warranty.

My current 10 SEER kept up with the cooling most of the time, but needed to have the heat strips on a lot to try to keep up in winter, and in real cold spells never hit the set point, even with the heat strips.

So I'm leaning toward the higher HSPF units to help out in winter.

My current Trane has a defrost cycle, but I haven't found specs to indicate if that's something still on any current models.

Thoughts on which brands/models to steer away from or lean toward? I realize everyone has horror stories on almost any brand, but overall, suggestions on which to choose?

Thanks so much!
Steve

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Trane or AmStandard would be my choice. You decide on level based on budget. Pay attention to performance/efficiency numbers including HSPF and electronic demand defrost feature.

IMO
    Good Luck

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, tigerdunes.

I am sorta leaning toward the Trane, as it has a variable speed motor, 2-stage compressor, and demand defrost. Is the Am Std's Spine Fin coil something better, or just their name for what everyone uses?
    Thanks,
    Steve

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Depending on the models selected, Trane and AmStd packaged heat pumps are absolutely identical except for outside cabinet . Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Of course you will pay more for a two stage HP over a single stage.

Did you mention your location?

Add a 10 KW heat strip and HW Mdl 8321 thermostat.

IMO

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I put my location in my profile, but didn't realize that it isn't visible to visitors. I'm in northern Ohio, west of Cleveland. I'm in a 1700 sq ft modified split-level (1 step down, 11 steps up instead of the normal 6 and 6) with new windows and mediocre insulation, built in 1976.

All quotes have included 10 kW aux heat strips.

The Trane would come with the XL624 thermostat.
    The Carrier thermostat will be a TP-PRH
    The American Standard thermostat will be an AMSACONT401A

Nothing was specified with the Rheem or Amana.

Thanks,
    Steve

This post was edited by artgecko on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 23:00

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Pay attention to my thermostat recommendation. It is the one I would select and same as Trane's 803 model. Be aware HW makes Trane thermostats and there are only a few proprietary models unique only to Trane/AmStd.

IMO

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'll go over my specs during the holiday weekend. Maybe a couple more folks will chime in by then, too. Then I'll call one of the companies on Tuesday.

Steve

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

BTW, what is price difference between Trane and AmStd quotes?

Post back.

IMO

• mtvhike
    9 years ago

What is the best unit for heating in cold climates (AC not needed)? My alternative is pure resistive heating.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

For above poster...

It is considered bad forum etiquette to hijack a thread.

Go to bottom of main/home page and start your thread. You will receive better advice and help plus all active forum embers can follow.

IMO

• mtvhike
    9 years ago

Sorry, I just thought the answer to my question might be useful to the original poster. I see several threads in which the same information is being requested by different posters.

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tigerdunes,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been out of town since Saturday morning.

Trane XL-16c 16 SEER is $6880 after $1200 manufacturer's and local electric company's rebates. Am Std Gold XL 14 SEER is $7640 and no available rebates. Carrier 50VR-A is $7740, and Rheem RQPL is $5900.

The Rheem guy is also quoting a 16 SEER 2-stage RQRM to compare with the other company's 15 and 16 SEER units. If it is priced similarly to the 14 SEER Rheem it should come in around the Trane price.

MTVhike, Lots of heat pump threads, but almost none discussing recommendations for electric packaged heat pump units, which is what I'm replacing.

Thanks,
    Steve

This post was edited by artgecko on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 21:37

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rheem RQRM 16 SEER 2-stage came in at $6300 less possible mfgr rebate.

That's 16/13/8.5 for the Rheem vs 16.4/13.4/9.0 for the Trane, with the Rheem from a company that so far sounds like I'd like to do business (smaller company, not much commercial work compared to other which does mostly commercial, and I'm dealing directly with the owner instead of one of a dozen sales guys (err, comfort advisors...)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Good price on Trane XL16c.

What thermostat does:dealer recommend?

IMO

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Trane would come with the XL624 thermostat, but you recommended changing to the HW 8321.

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thoughts on the Rheem RQRM 16 SEER? I'm leaning pretty strongly to this installer.

Thanks,
    Steve

• artgecko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went with the Rheem RQRM 16 SEER packaged heat pump, and the White Ridgers/Emerson Sensi wifi thermostat.

Thanks for the help!
    Steve