Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goodman heat pump + gas furnace quote

Posted by Chazbo54 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 17:53

Would like experts' thoughts on the following, replacing my existing a/c and gas furnace, 2200 sq ft tri-level. (I have a 3 ton unit (SEER 10) that keeps up ok now, as does the furnace):

Goodman heat pump with coil to match, res. grade (he said was NOT builder grade, to stay away from those), 13 SEER, 3 ton unit, with heat coils (for possible future use instead of gas), digital thermostat, coupled with a Goodman 115,000 95 efficiency gas furnace. 2 stage. Variable speed blower. Installer is also making some minor (but needed) changes to some duct work and adding a return air to one room.

Price quoted is $6750 total, which includes installing a humidifier that I am providing.

I'm wondering also if the difference in performance between a 13 SEER and a 16 SEER in Indianapolis, IN is great enough to warrant what the installer said would be a jump in price (I don't know how big an increase). Anyone in central Indiana type weather know?

What additional questions should I ask ?

I know some here don't particularly like the Goodman equipment, but the quote includes an additional 10 yr warranty (parts and labor over the whole life) bringing the warranty period to 15 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goodman heat pump + gas furnace quote

Oh,and it does have demand defrost

o

Don't care for and would not have Goodman. Dealer is way oversizing you on furnace which makes a real statement about his qualifications.

And Goodman HPs have electronic demand defrost? Since when?

IMO

o

He was going by the size of the existing furnace. He did say he thought it was way oversized, said didn't really need that big especially with a variable speed blower.

I specifically asked him if it had demand defrost and he said yes, and explained it to me again. I did not ask if it was electronic, though. Are some of them not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here