Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help out a first-time buyer!

Posted by akaylor58 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 17:51

Hello,

I live near Dayton, OH and just got quoted the following...

Trane XR-95 gas furnace (95 AFUE + 60,000 BTU's) and Trane XR-15 air conditioner (15 SEER + 2.5 tons and 30,000 BTU's) for $5600 (labor included in that number).

Tax credits are $150 for furnace and $300 for AC. Also qualify for a $300 rebate from natural gas supplier.

I don't know much about this stuff...how are these numbers??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help out a first-time buyer!

That doesn't sound too bad to me. You are getting a good brand. I recently paid $5450 for a new American Standard Evaporator coil and condenser using the old furnace. Just make sure that the furnace has a variable speed fan. You'll need this to get the most out of the SEER 15 a/c unit.

o

akaylor

You can not achieve the performance/eff capability of the XR15 condenser with a sgl stg conventional blower furnace. It is the same for paying for something that you don't get.

2 suggestions.

Upgrade to the XV95 two stg var speed furnace or drop down to the XR13 condenser.

What was included in quote? New refrigerant line set? What about filter cabinet? What mdl evap coil was included with quote?

What size furnace and AC are you replacing?

IMO

o

Thanks Tiger,

I don't know much about the old units (or this topic in general), but I was told to get the XR15 because of the tax credits that come with. Don't think the XR13 qualifies for same (if any) tax credits.

o

Akaylor

You are wasting your money purchasing the XR15 condenser without a var speed furnace or a furnace with high eff blower motor.

Look at the XV95 or XT90 furnaces both better choices than the XR95.

If dealer tells you otherwise he is either ignorant or being untruthful.

Sorry, that is the truth.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here