Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 ton to 2.5 ton air conditioner

Posted by WA6FGZ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 17:20

I have a 4 month old cavco 18 by 47 foot mobile home in Dewey AZ. all new it has a 2 ton heat pump package all outside on the north side of the home. when the outside temp is 90 or higher and the inside thermostat set at 74 degrees the unit never shuts off. I went through the comsumer report to find the correct tonnage and it states 25600 BTU. another site says 13728 BTU, one contractor says 400 square feet to the ton, another says 380 square feet to the ton. Outside temp. was 90 degrees, Thermostat set to 74 degrees, Air from the floor register is 48.5 degrees, Air into the air return is 73.2 degrees. Evaporator air output is 105 degrees. Is the current unit too small? The orginal contractor has been here 3 times and cannot fix the problem. Jim Powell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 ton to 2.5 ton air conditioner

So there is no "correct" amount of tons needed per square foot. It should be based on load calculations based on orientation and shade and location.

For a mobile home, there is no right answer. If the house can stay at 74 degrees on a hot day then the unit is big enough. The usual design temp is 75 so getting to 74 is a luxury. Now if some days, the temp can't get below 80 then you have an issue. You don't actually mention what the interior temp is. I am guessing that it isn't cold enough for you.

I am going to guess that it isn't really the a/c's fault. I think your infiltration or insulation is the problem. For the amount of windows that I've usually seen on a mobile home, 2 tons should be fine for a new home.

o
RE: 2 ton to 2.5 ton air conditioner

Infiltration and Insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here