Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cs6000

Climatemaster Geo Tranquility or Genesis?

cs6000
15 years ago

I've recently been reading the thread about the geothermal up front costs, but have a few more specific questions about the Climatemaster units.

Climatemaster seems to have a pretty good reputation here, and I know the 2-stage Tranquility 27 is the Cadillac of the geothermal world.

I'm planning a 2100 sq ft house in Oklahoma. Will also have a free-standing wood stove for the cold months. The heat of summer will be the biggest energy sucker, I think.

Is the added cost for the features and whistles of the 2-stage units worth the premium? Would I be fine with a more basic 1-stage Genesis system? Should I trust HVAC contractor's advice?

Thanks, lots of knowledge on here.

Comments (7)

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

2-stage variable speed will give you better dehumidification, greater comfort and higher energy efficiency. I would spend the money.

SR

• marknmt
    15 years ago

I went with the Tranquility. It was a big investment for us, but it has done a good job for us thus far. (You can search this forum for my comments, reservations, and enthusiasms).

Just one thing occurs to me. I think that the Tranquility 27s are being built in the conpany's newest facility, and it may well be that it's taken some time to bring new hires up to speed. Mine had some soldering that gave me pause. It looked to me (and the installer agreed) that some of the tubing had been allowed to get too hot during fabrication. Tubing treated in such a way might pass pressure tests for several years but erode in use at a later date. So raise this question with your contractor and insist on a clear understanding of the issue before plunking down your bucks!

Bottom line, we're nearly two years into it and have been very satisfied, even though our system is not optimum since we have an open rather than closed loop system. I believe that if you have a properly installed closed loop system you will like the results. But I can't speak to the trustworthiness of your HVAC contractor!

Still, I think the Genesis would do a good job, and if push comes to shove I'd install the system with a Genesis with very little hesitation- it's a worthy second choice.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Mark

• funnycide
    15 years ago

You should look into the Tranquility 20 series. It is the line in between the genesis and T27. It is single stage with or without variable speed fan. the price is only a few hundred $ more than the genesis.
    If you plan on having a wood stove make sure you install a return grille nearby. When the wood stove is burning, run constant fan and that heat will be distributed throughout the house.

• cs6000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a good idea. (return air vent near woodstove). Will file that away.

• wjmuseler
    10 years ago

I would look for any other geothermal unit than Climate Master, here is my experience with them:
    My Tranquility system was installed in 2007; to date we have replaced two compressors, one condenser and one evaporator. After the last failure I contacted Climate Master asking that they pay for the labor for the last repair (the material on all of the failures was covered under warrantee). None of these components should have failed in such a short time period. Climate Master eventually sent out a Rep with our service company to survey my unit. The result was a report which stated that my unit was in excellent working order and that Climate Master would offer me a new unit at their cost (~$2K) but not pay for installation or I could accept a $400 credit for service labor. This was wholly unacceptable and I will spread this story on as many forums that I can find to warn people that Climate Master is not a reputable company in my opinion. I have the e-mail chain from Climate Master and a record of all repairs to my unit.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

You had a chance to buy a brand new unit with a full new warranty for $2k - and you didn't take it!

SR

• William Museler
    7 years ago

Update. The third compressor failed, third one in just under 10 years (plus a condenser). Climate Master's are junk in my opinion. Switching over to a Modine two stage system with a 10 year parts and 5 year labor warrantee.