Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Question about nomenclature.

Posted by planewood (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 16:17

Ok, the charging valve(s) on the outside AC unit. (22 year old Carrier 5 ton unit) What are those things called? Both the suction line and the liquid line on mine has one of these valves. They have a nut (cap?) on top underneath which there is a Allen wrench connection for runnng the valve up and down. I keep mine in the "all the way up" position.

I undertand that when that valve is ran "all the way down" that the line is then completely blocked. But, apparently not to the little nipple where you attach the line to the Freon tank. I keep a cap on these nipples to prevent freon leakage.

I want to replace the Schrader valve in the charging nipple but don't know how to block the flow of Freon through the nipple. How do I do dat????

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Question about nomenclature.

You'll need a CFC certification to do what you want to do. You'll also need knowledge for servicing a unit in addition to the basic tools required for recharging a system since you will still have some refrigerant loss.

There is a process that will let you do what you want to do on your particular unit but, I am hesitant to go into detail on that process here. It can cause serious damage to your unit and you personally if you don't have the knowledge and experience with the process.

I'm concluding you are suspecting a minute leak at the Schrader Valve. If you take the cap off the service valve and look inside the cap, there should be a doughnut shaped rubber seal inside, at the top. If there is non or, the rubber is deteriorated, you can replace it. If someone were to come into my shop and want one of these as a replacement, I would give them one for free. Perhaps you might have a shop nearby you could ask for one. Otherwise, what I would suggest is to obtain an "O" ring that will fit into the top of the cap and will seal around the outside edge of the valve. You don't want a solid piece of rubber because as you tighten the cap, you stand the chance the rubber will distort and push down on the valve. Make sure the cap is on tight but don't over-tighten. Unless you have access to refrigerant oil, don't put any oil on it, just leave it as is and you should be good to go.

RE: Question about nomenclature.

Do you know the technical name for the valve?

RE: Question about nomenclature.

Access Valve, Service Valve, Shrader Valve....if you refer to any of those names, anyone in the business would know what you are referring to. In your case you could also mention high side or low side shutoff valve w/Shrader/Access/Service valve.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here