Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeonandjamie

What questions should I ask regarding my heat pump quote?

yeonandjamie
12 years ago

Here's a quote I received to install 2 systems in my house. The house requires all new ductwork and will have one system on the first floor running through the basement and another system on the second floor running through the attic. My question is, what other information do I need from this contractor (I'm leaning towards having the work done by this company but would like to hammer out the final details before signing them on and putting down a deposit).

Quote I received:

Electrical Specifications:

Install low voltage wire from indoor unit to outdoor condenser.

Install new 115 volt shut off switch to heater.

Install one 115 volt duplex receptacle to be mounted on indoor unit.

Install properly sized wire into breaker panel box to include a labeled individual heating or air-conditioning breaker.

All wiring to conform with local codes.

Specifications:

Install one high efficient heating system.

It is critical on new higher efficiency furnaces that the air temperature between the heat exchanger and the return are measured to manufacturer

s specifications. It is equally important that the gas pressure is set properly. Failure to follow these procedures will result in premature replacement of your equipment.

We agree to follow the manufacturer's specifications completely to insure proper operation.

Sheet Metal Specifications:

Install all necessary duct work from evaporator coil to trunk duct. All metal will be 26 gauge and sized properly for most efficient operation.

Install new return air drop and easily accessible filter rack.

Install new duct work throughout house.

Seal all new duct joints with high temperature silicone caulk for highest efficiency.

Air-Conditioning Specifications:

Install one anti-vibration insul-pad for outdoor unit, as a permanent base.

Install one outdoor condensing unit.

Install one indoor insulated cased evaporator coil for future maintenance.

Install insulated copper line set from indoor coil to outdoor condenser; all joints to be brazed as per EPA code.

Install one 3/4" PVC condenser drain from evaporator coil to a pump to the laundry tub or outside.

Start Up:

Fill all air-conditioning lines with no less than 250 p.s.i. of nitrogen to insure no refrigerant leaks.

Vacuum all refrigerant lines with a 500 micron gauge to insure all moisture is removed prior to start up.

Properly fill and weigh in all refrigerant according to manufacturer's charts and EPA law.

Test Delta T or temperature difference or air flow, across the indoor unit, to insure proper distribution.

Two Carrier variable speed air handlers.

Two Carrier (2 ton) 13 SEER air-conditioning systems.

Model Numbers are as follows:

Carrier Performance Series Heat Pump Model #25HPA6

Carrier Performance Series Variable Speed Air Handler Model #FV4

Carrier Performance Series Thermostat Model #TC-PHP

TIA

Comments (4)

• ryanhughes
    12 years ago

For both systems, will all ductwork be hard metal or will flex duct be used for branch run-outs? I'm okay with flex duct as long as it's accessible and the runs are as straight and short as possible. Trunklines should be metal. How will they be insulating the duct (to what R-value)?

The attic system should have a float switch in the emergency drain pain. How will they be running the drain in the attic (i.e., just a primary drain line or a secondary drain line as well?). The secondary drain line tells you when there's a problem (plugged primary drain or water dripping into the pan).

The 25HPA6 is a 2-stage 16 SEER heat pump. You were quoted 13 SEER air conditioners (heat pumps?), so you should clarify these model numbers.

How did they arrive with the conclusion that you require two 2-ton heat pumps? Was a load calculation (Manual J) performed, and were you given a copy of the results? Will they be sizing and installing the ductwork per Manual D?

Others will give their thoughts. Here are a few things you will want to cover with them before any work gets started.

• ryanhughes
    12 years ago

Since you will be getting the FV4 variable speed fan coils, I would ask them to substitute the TC-PHP for the TP-PRH "thermidistat" which includes humidity control.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Yeonandjamie

I like detailed quoted but sometimes there is TMI. Lots of words written down but specific details like the complete mdl number of outside condenser and inside air handler left out. I don't like that.

I agree with Ryan's advice.

What is your location?

What size heat strip? I would want the 9KW prewired staged mdl for each system.

What insulation value for ductwork? I would want R8 or better.

Anything about a galv or st ST air handler pan for spills on upstairs attic system? automatic shut off valve?

I prefer poured concrete pads to correct size 4-5" deep.

Just a few ideas. I'll think of more.

IMO

• yeonandjamie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ryan and Tigerdunes,

Thanks so much for the great info.

I was told they would insulate with R8. I will also clarify the 13 vs. 16 SEER discrepancy. As for sizing the system, the contractor said that he performed a heat load calculation but I never received anything with the actual numbers.

Tigerdunes, I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs. I'll ask about the size of the heat strip and the other questions.