Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carpediem12_gw

Which of these two Carrier gas furnace and A/C systems?

Carpediem12
9 years ago

My 2052 square foot (first and second floor) colonial was built in 1986. I live in Bel Air which is about 20 miles north of Baltimore, Maryland. I moved here in 1993 and in 1996 converted from a heat pump to a natural gas furnace (Carrier 92% efficiency � 80,000 BTU) and a new AC unit (Carrier 2.5 ton unit 13 SEER). The Carrier gas furnace has two cracks in the primary heat exchanger so I am planning to replace the entire system before the fall heating season.

Attic insulation is R-30.

Cost per therm of gas: 0.49710000 cents

Cost of electricity: 8.857 cents/kWh through September 30, 2014 and then 8.616 through May 31, 2015

My goal is a trouble free system that keeps me cool in summer and warm in winter. I am not too concerned about saving money but I do not want to spend money foolishly. Since my system is already fairly energy efficient, I don�t think I can really count on much cost savings.

The only minor complaints I have about with the house is that the humidity in the basement is high (just smells musty � no mold or actual condensation) so I am running two dehumidifiers (one in laundry room and one in storage room).

Also the second floor has condensation on windows in the winter that causes mildew on the bedroom and bathroom windows (white painted wood on inside). I suspect that is from humidity from showers and baths. I am planning bathroom renovations that include bathroom exhaust fans to supplement the bathroom windows.

Also the second floor is sometimes warmer than the first floor in summer. I installed an attic fan that is on a thermostat and that has helped enormously. This has been a cool summer so I have not noticed it at all this year but there is still a temperature difference when it is really hot.

The basement is partially finished and the HVAC has two supply vents and one return - all in the ceiling bulkhead. Both contractors that have been here (I only have one estimate so far � I am waiting for an estimate from one and one more contractor is coming tomorrow) suggested running the fan all the time in the summer to mix the air and remove more humidity from the basement and also to mix the cooler air from the rest of the house to better cool the second floor. I am hoping running the fan is less costly that running the dehumidifiers.

Here are the two proposals from the first contactor:

Both proposals are for a Carrier 3 ton air conditioner and have a 10 year parts (including compressor)/5 year labor warranty from the installer, besides Carrier�s warranty which I think is only one year labor. Lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger � not sure if that is from Carrier or the installer.

Proposal #1:
AC 24ANB 636 16 SEER/13EER
Furnace 59TN6AO80V17-14 96% 2 stage ECM
Coil CNPUP3717ALA
Thermostat Infinity Touch (WiFi)

Net cost to me after various rebates and discounts: $7928

Proposal #2:
AC 24ANB636 16 SEER/13EER
Furnace 59TP5AO80E17-16 96% 2 stage
Coil ONPUP3717ALA
Thermostat TP-PAC

Net cost to me after various rebates and discounts: $7248

The price above includes installation of new refrigerant lines, install new condenser pad (current AC unit is too close to house and code now requires it further away), use existing condensate drain, reclamation of existing refrigerant (R-22 � new system uses R-410A), new line set, all permits, necessary gas piping to new equipment, Schedule 40 PVC vent piping for intake and exhaust of condensing style gas furnace to connect and test (I think that are using what is there and will just test it), removal of existing equipment and debris, required modification of existing air distribution box PLUS one return register in basement with grill near the floor.

The price also includes a drain pan and a wet switch - is this going to drive me crazy? I recall he said something about it being sensitive. I only had a leak once when something clogged and it wasn�t a ton of water � this switch will shut of AC if it senses water. I think I would prefer a leak to no AC.

Which of the above systems do you prefer and why?

I have an old Aprilaire Model 560 that can be replaced with a new Aprilaire Model 2200 at an additional cost of $395. Contractor #1 said replace it as they are no longer making it and parts might be hard to come by. Contractor #2 says keep it and was not concerned about parts.

Should I do the return in the basement at floor level?

Both proposals include keeping the old air filter that I have � a Spaceguard High Efficiency Air Cleaner 2200. Keep? Replace? Both contractor said keep. I have a maintenance contract but they charge me for the filters for this and pads for Aprilaire humidifier ($118 total when last changed � changed once a year).

Is the AC a two stage model? Contractor number two (waiting for proposal) said he did not think that was a good idea for my house.

According to contractor #1, Manual J says 3 ton not 2.5 ton AC as is currently there. He used 15 degrees for heating and 95 degrees for cooling as design temps. He also said Proposal #1 is better at dehumidification. He said he recommends Proposal #2 due to price differential ($680).

Contractor #1 is also looking into whether Carrier will pay anything for the job under heat exchanger settlement. There was a lawsuit about early failures.

Contractor #2 will be bidding American Standard equipment. How do they compare with Carrier? I might never move but I have been toying with the idea and Carrier has great name recognition although I did check and Consumer Reports likes American Standard just as well.

I think Contractor #2 might be planning to use the existing line set. Wise or unwise?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Proposal #1. Var speed furnace will handle AC cooling humidity removal better than the other furnace will.

Parts on the filter cabinet? What parts? May be a rare need for a replacement part. Keep it if it's doing the job.

Depending on models quoted, AmStd is quality HVAC and certainly just as good as Carrier.

Can't help you on the cracked heat exchanger. What was the warranty? What do Carrier dealers have to say about this issue.

With a return in basement, you are mixing foul air with upstairs living space as well as introducing humidity.

I would not run fan on all the time. Bad advice you are receiving.

I would want to know what you can do about reducing humidity infiltration in the basement. That's the key.

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

" I installed an attic fan that is on a thermostat and that has helped enormously. "

I have this set up in my house in central NJ. I think it helps reduce the heat load of the second floor if the attic has adequate ventilation. There is a lot of discussion about attic fans, most of it advising not to use them.

I recommend getting a quote for a 2-stage AC (24ANB7). It would work well with the variable speed furnace to reduce humidity. I don't understand why the contractor #2 advised not getting this. The advice about running the fan in the summer is also not good. It will pull humidity from the basement into the house.

You could get a 70 pint dehumidifier from Sears or Home Depot. There are better humidifiers but the prices are 2-3 times more.

I always advise to replace the line set if it is not too difficult. Flushing is OK provide the line set is the proper size for the new system.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Good catch by Mike on the AC condenser selection. And don't accept an increase in price. Be firm.

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

It is hard to justify not paying more when upgrade from a single stage to a 2-stage AC. But give it a try, you never know.

In my personal opinion it is worth the extra money. I think keeping the humidity in the 40-45% range is the best way to stay comfortable in a humid climate.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Well, two stage is nice but after all you do get dehumidify on demand with an Infinity system like this paired with the Infinity controller. The two stage AC condenser is really not absolutely necessary for controlling humidity.

IMO

• Carpediem12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the prompt reviews! Looks like Proposal #1 is the winner so far.

Mike ��" the attic fan made a huge difference in second floor comfort. One of the best things I did. Glad your experience was the same.

I will look into the 2 stage AC.

I will not run the fan or put in an extra return for the humidity/temperature change issues. I will just continue to use my dehumidifiers. They do take care of the issue.

I am going to plan on replacing the line set ��" it is easy to get to.

What do you think about the drain pan/wet switch that will shut off the AC if there is a leak? Is it going to go off over nothing like a smoke detector I used to have and drive me nuts? Or is it a good idea?

I might not have been clear about one thing. Both contractors told me to keep the old air filter set up (Spaceguard High Efficiency). It is the old Aprilaire humidifier that Contractor #1 said replace due to age/parts and Contractor #2 said keep it, parts are not going to be a problem and the only part that goes bad is the solenoid. Keep the old one or buy a new one?

Contractor #1 is going to look into the Carrier early failure of heat exchangers settlement. It might only apply to the secondary heat exchanger. The primary one failed on my furnace.

I meet with the last contractor tomorrow. I hope to have all the bids by the end of the week. My goal is all new equipment before I have to turn on the heat!

• Carpediem12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DELETED duplicate posted in error!

This post was edited by Carpediem12 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:17

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I assume the rebates you refer to are from Carrier.

I found the rebate structure for Carrier Spring 2014. From that list, you received an extra $475 for the Infinity 17 over the Infinity 16.

I would followup with your Carrier dealer about this.

Link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrier Spring 2014 Rebate Structure

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:26

• Carpediem12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am getting a discount as a long standing customer (5%) plus an on line discount (10%) and our utility also has rebates ($800). These apply to either option.

The Carrier rebate on the proposal is listed as $550 on Proposal #1 and $250 on Proposal #2. I will take a look at the website.

Is Infinity 17 Proposal #1 and Infinity 16 Proposal #2? These both refer to furnaces and not the AC, correct?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

No, the rebate is all inclusive for the 59TN6 Infinity furnace paired with either the Infinity 16 AC Mdl 24ANB6 or Infinity 17 AC.Mdl 24ANB7. Note the price difference. Understand this is the Spring 2014 Carrier Rebate structure.

You will note additional rebates for the following.

*Addition of Infinity® controls increase rebates as follows:
    Infinity® Touch Wi-Fi Control - $150

Indoor Air Quality Product Rebates
    Infinity® Air Purifier (GAPAA, GAPAB) - $150
    Humidifer (LFP, LBP, SBP, WBP) - $25

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 6:50