Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rheem vs Trane

Posted by tomdx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 15:01

I have to make a decision between Rheem and Trane within the next day or so and I'd appreciate any feedback.

I have a townhouse built in 1988 that still has the original Rheem furnace and A/C (2 ton I think). This is now a rental unit, so due to conversion expense, I'm stuck with an 80% unit. I've had 4 estimates (including PSE&G) and no one has done a load calc... all say I don't need it. Closest thing that was done is 2 contractors took measurements of the downstairs (said they didn't need to go upstairs). I don't have time for more estimates, so I've decided based on who I think is the best contractor (A+ BBB). These numbers included all costs, including permits...

TRANE $6242.54
XL80 2-Stage (TUD2B060A9362A)
XB13 2.5 ton Condenser (4TTB3030E1000A)
XB series Coil (4FXCB036AC3CAA)

Rheem $6,185.51

3 ton 13 Seer Cased Coil (RCFL-HM3617CC)
2.5 ton Value Series 13 Seer Condensing Unit (13AJA30A01)
RGPQ 2-Stage (75,000 BTU)

Note: Furnaces are not variable speed... the extra cost is not justified in a rental unit.

Thanks

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rheem vs Trane

What size is your townhouse?

What size is current AC and furnace?

You will note the Rheem furnace is 20% larger. Why?

For your townhouse, I would consider the sgl stage XT 80 furnace with the high eff blower.

IMO

o

Townhouse is 2 stories and approx 1300 sqf

I believe the current AC is 2 tons... everyone that has looked at it wants to upgrade to 2.5 tons (even PSE&G).

I believe the current furnace is 66k. I think the Rheem furnace only comes in 50k and 75k... going with 55k would be less than I have now.. so that would account for the 20% difference.

The 2nd floor of the townhouse tends to get very hot in relation to the 1st floor. I'm thinking the 2-stage would help with that problem... that's why I choose it over the High eff blower.

Thanks

o

Still like the sgl stage XT80 better.

And the Rheem furnace will be a waste if dealer does not install a true two stage mdl thermostat. That furnace is too large. If you decide on that mdl, drop down to the 050 size. Plenty of BTUs for a 1300 sq ft condo.

IMO

o

Yes, they are including a 2-stage thermostat.

I'll speak to them about the 50k vs 75k. But my first decision is Rheem vs Trane. I've been told that Trane is better, but parts are expensive (out of warranty) and some times not readily available... which is an important consideration for a rental.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here