Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Heat Pump is Better?

Posted by NYSRQ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 14:53

Because we are in a bldg with a central cooling tower, we are limited in the A/C - HeatPump units we can get.

I have estimates from 2 installers, one for a Carrier Heat Pump unit, 13.3EER, 4 Ton, and the other is for a Versatec Unit, 14.7 EER, 4,7 Tons.

The Carrier guy is charging a bit more, but he has done most of the units in my bldg. He also told me that with the cooling tower, you really can't get above 14 EER. They'd be installing a humidistat and a programmable thermostat as well. Their warranty is 6 yrs, COmpressor 2 & labor 1.
Other guy's warranty is 5, 1 & 1 & would not include the Humidistat.

Have no idea which is better.
Any experience with these?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Heat Pump is Better?

thanks, but, we are in a highrise that can only use the Central Water Tower type systems. Not many options available - seems either the Trane or the Carrier or one other brand system sold here.

o

What size do you have now?

I assume you mean SEER not EER? Please verify.

What size system do you have now? Why the size difference between the quotes?

Why is the warranty so poor on each of your quotes?

Post back.

IMO

o

thanks, but, we are in a highrise that can only use the Central Water Tower type systems. Not many options available - seems either the Trane or the Carrier or one other brand system sold here.

o

Can't help you if you don't answer questions.

Sorry.

IMO

o

NO - I do mean EER.
ALl the companies, plus our Bldg Manager, told me that forwater systems like this, they use EER not SEER.

I have no idea why the difference in quotes - trying to find that out. Two difft systess. Currently have 4 ton, about 8 EER

o

Well, I deceided on a company that most of my building uses, and that has a great rep here. THey quoted me a 4 ton Carrier Unit.
Came yesterday to install it. Took out old unit, brought in new Unit - OOPS! IT DOESN'T FIT!!!! It is about 5" too depp to fit in the utility closet. And the idiots even measured.

Now they are telling me they will install a First Company unit. I have never heard of First COmpany. Any experience with them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here