Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccsbear

HVAC on roof of townhome. Issues?

ccsbear
9 years ago

Found a great 3-story townhouse complex, but the condensor/compressor is on the roof and they actually ask you to sign a waiver that you accept the risk of possible noise and vibration. It is still in development and not ready for move in till November.

Talked to the contractor who happened to be on site today. The units they are using are Fujitsu models (AOU24RLXFW and FZ) with about 22,000 BTU cooling capacity, split unit design. Each can feed up to four air handlers in each apt. They will be installed on racks which do have isolation pads (springs). They will be sitting on the roof (hidden by the sloped roof design). There will be about 5 feet of separation from the ceiling because of the attic space. No concrete pad, just sitting on a flat wooden platform on the roof (not in the attic). They use R-19 insulation in the ceiling.

HOWEVER, there will be 12 of them on the roof (one for each apt. unit in the building). They will also be directly above about half my unit (kitchen, laundry room, second bathroom). An engineering friend of mine told me that he wouldn't worry about it. It's only when they wear out and have a bad fan or if the unit is imbalanced in someway that you will hear loud noises. The contractor was very honest and said he could not really guarantee the silence or lack there of.

This is a very unusual design here in Hawaii and was wondering what the experiences are elsewhere. I also am confused that DR Horton would build something that actually requires buyers to sign a noise waiver???

Anyway, still trying to decide..... Building would be perfect if not for this.

Comments (3)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I don't know why you would be surprised at DR Horton, but nevermind.

I live in a fourplex in FL with AC on the roof and mostly it's not too bad. But then our roof is poured concrete, which helps a lot, and there are only two AC units grouped above my townhouse.

The two big problems are:

1. Hurricanes. They will shift and you will have an open hole in the roof in the middle of the storm. I know Hawaii isn't supposed to have hurricanes, but obviously you can.

2. It's unclear from your post just exactly what is over your unit. If it's only your own AC, then I wouldn't worry too much (at least not more than about the overall construction quality in general), However, if it is that you are getting a deal because you've got a bank of them sitting on your roof, I would reconsider.

I can control the amount of noise from my own unit by keeping it well maintained. However, I also have my neighbor's AC up there, and that is on the way out (they only come down for about 6 weeks in the winter) and the noise is enough to drive you crazy when it runs because they never do anything to maintain it and it screeches and throbs like crazy. I live in hope that it will burn out and have to be replaced.

If you have a row of other people's air conditioners above your unit, I would either walk or choose a townhouse without air conditioners on its roof instead.

• ccsbear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the follow up WB. So you have an opinion on DR Horton? Please share. And yes, there will be a bank of units (6) over my area of the roof. I wasn't offered any deal per se, but it certainly bothered me that they sprung this on me at the last moment.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>And yes, there will be a bank of units (6) over my area of the roof.

I would run.

Around here Horton is known for volume, not quality, kind of like Lennar (although they are a cut above Lennar, to be fair). Also for pushy sales tactics.

Sometimes it's worth opting for a big minus if you can get a sufficient deal. One of my neighbors got about 40% off the usual price of her unit because the master bedroom had a view of the water processing plant back before we had public utilities out here, for example.

But with 6 AC units on your roof and no control over any of them, no, I wouldn't go there unless you were offered half off or more. And then I'd only consider it if I were slightly deaf.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler