Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenjennv

Talk me into converting from oil to gas

jenjenNV
9 years ago

Hi! I own a 1930 home in Northern Nevada (near Lake Tahoe), and am exploring my options regarding a new gas furnace. Here's what I have:

- 1100 square feet
- original single pane windows (w/some storm windows)
- Newly insulated attic
- Oil furnace is in the basement, don't know the age, but it is OLD
- Gallons of oil used (average of past 3 winters): 290
- Cost of oil (average of past 3 winters): $1096

The oil company will run the gas line to the foundation of my house for free. I've been told this is unusual, so part of me wants to do this job before they change their minds!

So far I've had two quotes. The first was from a Costco dealer who only sells Lennox furnaces. They told me it would be roughly$7500 for a high efficiency gas furnace. The second guy was concerned with venting (he wasn't sure whether he could use the chimney that the oil furnace currently uses) which left me a bit concerned. He told me, unofficially, that it would be somewhere between $2500 to $5500.
The Lennox guy said he would run pvc up the chimney, or if it's not a straight shot, will have it come out the side of the house to vent the furnace. Does that sound ok?

Both of these jobs include the plumbing of the new gas line from the foundation, through the basement, to the new furnace.

So should I go for it? I'm still getting more quotes, but need someone to talk me into spending the money :)
Any special concerns/considerations re my old house?
Any recommendations on size, brand, efficiency of furnace?
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

My gas bill for the ENTIRE year (9/13 to current) was $1063. We had a pretty cold winter here this past year (for the area). We use gas for heat, water and dryer (not cooking). I have 2800 sf , 2 story home in NJ with good insulation, about 19 years old. We have 4 adults living here (2 young men in their 20's who wash a lot of clothes and shower multiple times a day!)

Those windows probably cost you a lot of heat.

I have a 96 or 97% efficient furnace and an extremely efficient hot water heater. Your old furnace could go at any time so you should switch now while the cost is cheaper ("free" gas line). It will also help if you should decide to sell your home. FInd out how much that gas line would cost you if you have to pay for it. That might help you to see what a deal it is for them to do it free.

Get a detailed quote from an hvac company you trust. I don't know how simple it is to convert as far as ductwork etc.

I bet with new windows AND a new furnace you will be very happy with your bills.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Why would a company who sells oil install a gas line to your house for free? What is their incentive?

Do you know what you would be paying for gas? For most homes switching from oil to gas results in in 60-65% saving. You will be saving around $650 a year on fuel costs, plus any savings on oil burner maintenance. In addition you can switch you hot water heater, stove, and clothes dry to gas when the time comes to replace these appliances. This will result in additional savings.

I suggest getting a 95%+ efficiency furnace. This can be vented out the side of the house using PVC and avoid having to deal with the chimney. If you use the chimney it may have to be lined.

Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Rheem/Rudd are the better brands. Stay away from the builder's grade equipment. A 40K BTU furnace is probably sufficient. The contractor should do a heating load calculation to verify the size.

Avoid the big box stores like Costco. The prices are not as good as you think and the installation quality is usually poor.

• jenjenNV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    I should have said the GAS company will install the line for free....makes a bit more sense.

So if it vents out the side of the house is it ok to have it come out through the foundation's concrete stem wall?

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, do you have central A/C? If not, window units?

• jenjenNV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use an evaporative cooler (window unit), works great in my high desert climate.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

If you have typical oil and NG costs, switch to NG for heat, hot water and get a gas clothes dryer now or when you need a new one. You'll be in the black on the investment very quickly.

Go out the side for the vent if possible. Up the existing chimney will probably cost more. If you go out the side, you can get rid of the chimney the next time you re-roof.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

OP,

If your heating bill is a total of $1096 per year and your swamp cooler is cutting the mustard, replacing windows as an energy saver would seem likely a terrible investment.

Additionally, while we know nothing about insulation upgrades since your home was built in 1930, if the wall insulation is original it likely is not very good and replacing windows would have even a lesser effect than otherwise.

YMMV

Your oil cost is comparable to mine here in MD, but heat largely with an electric heat pump. Replacing the windows on my 1973 home is also a terrible investment.

• jenjenNV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no plans to replace the windows. They are original to the house and I like them. I do however have storm windows for a little more than half of the windows, and plan to make more when I find the time.
    The existing furnace vents through the main chimney, but through a side channel (not sure what the technical term is). I do plan to have them put in stubs for the range, hot water, and dryer, but don't need to replace them at the moment. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how the venting works or what is required. Would the hot water heater need to be vented through the roof? It is in the basement. What about the dryer, does that need to be vented too? It is also in the basement. Would they vent through the same pipe?

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Your "side channel" would be called a "flue" I guess that you have more than one flue in your chimney. Another is other for a fireplace or wood stove?

In contrast to your furnace, more modern fossil fuel-burning appliances recover most of the heat from the combustion gasses. This allows the use of plastic pipes to carry the flue gas, sideways, to the outside of the home. The water combustion product is condensed to recover heat (adding to the efficiency) and needs a drain or, sometimes, a pump to a drain to dispose of it.

Gas domestic water heaters come in older, lower efficiency and more modern high efficiency varieties as well. You choose low efficiency and a flue pipe to the roof, or high efficiency can go out the side.

Your gas dryer can go out the existing dryer vent assuming that you have one and are not venting the dryer to the inside of the house.

In some cases the home's heat and hot water can be produced by the same boiler. Hydronic heat (radiators) and domestic hot water are often done in combination this way. I am sure that can be done with forced air heat provided with a heat exchanger. What I don't know is if that makes economic sense compared to a separate water heater. Some pros will chime in what that, I am sure.

Don't forget the lower maintenance that mike_home mentioned. With gas you won't need frequent visits like you did from the oil service tech.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

One other option for hot water if the approaches listed above prove to be a problem. Consider a heat pump hot water heater- I have a GE GeoSpring unit. Your energy costs will approach that of a gas hot water heater.

These units can be noisy and they do need a condensate drain, but offer an alternative solution for you to research and consider.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Here in New England the cost saving with gas is substantial, but that pales in comparison to being able to cook on a gas range. That alone made the $1200 or so to run the gas line worthwhile, saving $1000 per year on heat is icing on the cake. Our ancient oil burner was kaput, so not replacing it wasn't an option.

$7500 sounds way high for even a very high efficiency top brand gas furnace--ask around.

Another consideration is supply-- we've had several incidences of short heating oil supply over the last couple decades. That can produce severe price spikes or just a cold house if your supplier has no oil. I'm guessing things would be pretty desperate before they turn household gas off in the winter.