Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bub5319

Lennox furnace pricing

bub5319
15 years ago

We've been gutting it out with an old Lennox natural gas furnace for the past 15 years . . . the length of time we've owned our 40-yr-old central Indiana home (2-story 2600 sq ft plus finished partial basement). The furnace is the original one, and I've been told that it's probably running at 40% efficiency and that it's 16 yrs past its life expectancy. Besides, it's getting harder to find replacement hammock filters. Time to replace?

I've never purchased a furnace before in my 50+ years of Earth time. The reputable HVAC company that's been servicing me as of late gave me three quotes. I just wanted to see if anyone can verify that the quotes are reasonable, or if I would be better off shopping around. Quotes include furnace, 4" media filter, installation, removal of existing unit, reuse of existing duct work and wiring.

Lennox Merit G40 gas - 80% AFUE - $2900

Lennox Merit G43 gas - "up to" 92.1% AFUE - $4200

Lennox Elite G51 gas - 92.1% AFUE (without the "up to") - $4400

We'll probably remain in our home for another 10 years, so even though I would imagine that we can offset the cost of the G40 (in gas cost savings) over that time, I'm not so sure about the G43 and G51. But, they may be good selling points when we're eventually ready to sell.

Are these prices reasonable?

Thanks!

- First time caller, and first time viewer for that matter.

Comments (6)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

The prices are reasonable. The reason for the jump in in price from 80+ to 90+ efficiency is probably due to the need for PVC venting--running it from the furnace to the outside. This is standard with 90+ efficient furnaces. The G51 is a good furnace. The G40 and G43 would do the job, too, but they are lower-end Lennox products (something the builders would install).

It's recommended to get at least 2-3 quotes, so certainly keep shopping. Price varies by region and dealer, so that will give you an idea on pricing in your area.

I do suggest you go with a good furnace if you plan on living in the home for another 10 years. A 90+ efficient, 2-stage, variable-speed furnace would be nice for comfort and energy savings. The 4" media filter is a good idea for better filtration and less maintenance.

Do you current have, or desire to have, central air conditioning installed?

• michaeld_2008
    15 years ago

Shop around, and I would suggest getting a quote from someone who puts in equipment other than Lennox. Most of the new equipment have excellent warranties now. I"m a HVAC contractor and those quotes don't sound to bad but always get other quotes and make sure thay replace your flue pipe while your changing the system. They will tell you its ok but insist that they do it if it's as old as your unit.

• bub5319
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan and Michael. I did take your advice and so far have obtained a quote from a highly-rated HVAC company that features Rheem products. I'm strongly considering the Rheem Prestige SuperQuiet 80 - two stage with variable speed (GE ECM) motor, at $3300 installed after 25% discount. The salesman stressed that the combination of gas savings, somewhat-improved AC efficiency, and savings in electricity (over a single-speed motor) would likely outweigh just the gas savings provided by the 90% single-speed model. Remember, I currently have a 35-40 yr old furnace. He also quoted a modular variable speed high-effiency model, but it was a little too much for what I feel that I need.

If you have any thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

• guinnesses
    15 years ago

A variable speed blower is a must if you'll be in your home for 10 years. Not only will you see the energy savings, but the blower is quieter and enhances your home's comfort.

• acurardx
    11 years ago

Asking if a price is reasonable for one brand / model isnt the best way to know you got the best deal. Why dont you compare brands and local installation pro's for best pricing / product. Thats doing furnace market research and that how you get the best furnace pricing; you can be sure about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lennox Pricing Plus Other Furnace Brands Cost List