Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
condensor runs or doesn't turn off with air handler - thermostat?

Posted by juliebatt (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 13:36

This started last week where my air handler would run and run but the a/c condensor wouldn't come on. I shut off the breaker and turned it back on and then it's been okay for a while until this morning. I noticed the condensor running outside even though the air handler was off inside. Flipping the thermostat doesn't seem to do anything but turn the air handler on/off. The only way to turn off the condenser was flip the breaker.

What could this be? Wiring at the condensor? New thermostat? I can install a thermostat myself, but wiring out at the unit I'll have to call someone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: condensor runs or doesn't turn off with air handler - thermos

You need to call a tech to have him come out and look at your unit. Sounds to me like your contactor is welded shut...or you have some crud in between the points... like dead ants,stuff like that.

Hope this helps

o
RE: condensor runs or doesn't turn off with air handler - thermos

Try this. Turn off the breaker for the outside unit. Activate the thermostat in the house and have someone outside listen to see if they can hear the relay clicking in and out. (noticeable clacking noise). If nothing is heard then probably a bad thermostat.
Also, it would be cheaper to go to Home Depot and get their cheapest thermostat for a test than to call out a technician. If that cures the problem then get the thermostat you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here