Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Central A/C Air handler air leaks??

Posted by dantis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 13:14

Hi All,

I just had a new Central Air system installed, American Standard Allegiance 15, 4 ton condensor, and Americna standard air handler, (I'm sorry, I do not have the model umber of the handler). The house is cool, but to me it seems the air coming out of the vents isn't as cold as it should be, like the freezing cold...So I went in attic to check ducts, all were fine, but I did find that the air handler blows some cool air at the seams of the doors. There are 3 doors on the unit, all have gaskets with 1/4 turn screws. I took off 2 doors (the ones with out refrig lines and re-seated. same result. A/C guy says some air will leak out , is that true?? My in-laws have a unit in ther attic above apartment that is air tight...suggestions comments?

Thank u

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Central A/C Air handler air leaks??

You can get some metal foil duct tape and tape them up if you want. Just have to remove it whenever the doors need to be opened. Some small air leak is common but still not desirable.

How cold is the air coming out of the ceiling vents? I use a cheap meat thermometer on a cable with a digital readout. While your at it, measure the temp of the air going into the return vent and the outside temp and the temp of the exhaust air coming out the top of the outside unit. You can even stick the probe under the insulation on the big and on the small copper lines behind the outside unit and measure those temps. Then report all that here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here