Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what i found in a airhandler !

Posted by fluffybunnysui (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 13:00

Customer called me the other day complaining of not having any air. As usual, when i get to someones unit, the 1st thing i do is to turn on the blower at the thermostat "on/auto" switch. It tells me a world of info if the blower comes on, line voltage is present, transformer is working, fan relay is active, stuff like that but in this particular case i didnt get any blower movement. So off with the door to the airhandler, checked for line voltage (had 240vac), checked my low voltage (had 28vac)at the low voltage terminal strip, which tells me at least part of the circuit board is ok and the 5amp fuse isn't open or blown. I put my hand on the blower motor and its hot... really hot. I try and spin the blower wheel and there is alot of resistance, so i naturally think its the bearings in the motor.... so i pull the housing and notice its heavy...heavier than it should be... and there is a wicked horrible smell. I bet your already thinking what i'm thinking...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Once the racoon was dug out, we washed everything real well, reinstalled the blower and it worked fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what i found in a airhandler !

Was it Medium? Don't like well done.

o

A little on the rare side for me....

o

The manufacturer put that in there for a reason, I hope you replaced it with an OEM. That little tag on the back of him should tell you what size.

o

Sad. Wonder how the little fella got in there.

o

He came thru the plenum, threw the heater strips, probably got electricuted, then fell into the blower.

o

Don't be fooled by the "cuteness" of a raccoon. After a badger, they are perhaps the most vicious animal if they attack.

o

So, he chewed through the plenum? there has to be a sizeable leak in the vents somewhere...

o

Oh yeah...sizeable to say the least !

o

Reminds me of this commercial

Here is a link that might be useful: Best week of my Racoon Life!!!

o

My neighbor in the country raised a pair that lost their mother due to poisoning and they are incredible creatures. Imagine a three year old that can climb and get to any height. They could twist door knobs and open jars of peanut butter. I would sit and watch them chase each other around on above ground pool and swat each other in the water running as fast as they could. They are off the hook. She left the cages at the edge of the woods and as they got older the doors stayed open and they went back to the wild.

o

Had one as a pet in my childhood. BBAAADD idea! They are into everything, And if they mate get pregnant they will turn extremely defensive and terrorize the home. Had to walk around with a stick the whole time cause she did not want us in HER house. Not to mention rabies.

o

That's about the largest dead thing I have seen in a unit. Had one call once the furnace was locking out on the inducer air switch. Dead MALLARD in the chimney! Have never once seen ducks sitting on top of a masonry chimney. My best guess is the thing died while flying and fell down inside. lol

o

Speaking of bodies in chimneys, it could have been worse. A human body found in a chimney 27 years after the guy vanished:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/joseph-schexniders-body-found-chimney-27-years-after-disappearing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here