Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini split or ducted heat pump

Posted by toadman77 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 12:46

I'm looking to invest in some new heat. I live in Pa so winters can get cold. I'm not as worried about ac as the heat,Right now I ceiling radiant heat. I set that down to 60 in the winter and use electric infarered heaters when I'm home to bump up the temps. Doing this has saved 25 to 40 percent on my bill though when it gets really cold the house is chilly. So I'm looking to either assisit or upgrade the heat in the ceiling The home is around a 1000 sq ft.. R60 in attics, around r19 in walls, mostly new windows( except kitchen and spare bedroom), unheated basement though raftesr are insulated, bow window in living room 35 sq ft, picture window in dining room 30sq ft.and I got two options.

I can get a ducted heat pump with electric back heat on it. I worried that it will be expensive in the winter because of the heating strips that use it to heat and the heat pump isn't that effective below freezing so the strips will be on heating. I'm not to worried installed and it heat my basement so thats the plus side. It would be a Payne or a gmc.

Other option is a ductless split (Mitsubishi MR SLIM 18,000 BTU hyper heat). It should heat better then a regular heat pump and works at lower temps and be cheaper then a whole house and radiant heat to operate. The thing I'm worried is how much of the house will it heat during the winter, I don't wanna invest and it heats only one room. My little heaters would warm most of house except when it got really cold.. Would the ductless be on par with them circlulating the heat through the house? I have read on forums where one would keep most of the rooms in the house near the same temperature as the main room its in.

Thanks for any info .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini split or ducted heat pump

As for the ductless I can use the radiant heat as a back up kinda like I'm doing now or use the heaters I was using.

o

map of placement of unit

o

Mitsubishi will use outdoor units paired with an indoor air handler that will accept ducts as well as what you are looking at. Hyper heat, I am not sure. Some conventional split systems may do as well. Probably not the ones you list. A high-wall mini split will heat an adjacent room just as well, or poorly as any other heat source will heat an adjacent room. I find that ceiling fans help the high wall units heat. Otherwise, in my house, I get cool floors and hot ceilings. I have a raised home with open crawl and no insulation down there.

o

Ordered a Hyper heat 18000 btu unit. I probaley oversized a little but the 12000 btu unit is to small for heating and with the cold winter we had I'll take some extra heat.

o

I would locate the unit on the opposite wall from where you are showing it. That way the air is blowing toward the kitchen and will circulate thru adjoining spaces better.

o

Good suggestion by Jackfre. If there are no windows or other stuff there to interfere, you can make it blow straight at the opening to the other rooms. You'll find that as the blower speed tapers off as the set temp is approached, heat in the other rooms will probably not be as effective. Bump up the blower speed manually to help with that. I do that with mine to get better floor-ceiling heat distribution if there is no paddle fan on the ceiling.

Toadman, let us know how it works out for you!

o

Thanks for the info. The room I'm installing is the only one that doesn't have a fan but I do have regular fans if need be. I'll post how it goes, especially when it gets really cold. If I like it I might buy a cheaper brand for the basement in the future.

o

I got it installed Saturday. I used it Sat evening as temps were into the upper forties. I set it at 67 and the room was 70 and stayed that way when I got up. The rest of the house was within a degree and the fan ran on low. Impressed so far since it used almost nothing in energy. Will have to wait until it gets colder to see how it performs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here