Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jps190

Help with new AC/heat system or systems.

jps190
10 years ago

So here is my situation. I currently have about 3600 square feet on 2 floors. Brick on 3 sides, Foam board and house wrap. The down stairs outdoor unit has a leak in the coil. It is a a 3.5 ton Lennox unit R-22(10ACC-042-230-02)

This is combined with a 90K Lennox Furnace in the attic (G40UH-48B-090-03).

The outdoor unit does not seem to be worth fixing. I am considering a whole new system for the downstairs and possibly upstairs while they are at it.

The upstairs system is a 2.5 ton outdoor unit. (Lennox 10ACC-030-230-03) and a 70K Lennox furnace 9G40UH-36A-070-03)

Both systems are 10 years old. I have had one guy come out so far and have others lined up. Will post quotes when I get them. The one that has come out was useless. Did not talk about particular models, said they don't do a Load calculation, just look at the number of ducts, ect. So he is off the list. One thing he did say was that the furnaces that I have look brand new and do not need replaced. So my first question in a list of many is should I keep the furnaces and just swap out the AC part? I would obviously be stuck with the 10 year old blowers and which are single speed. Seer rating would be effected because they don't match. I am leaning toward a whole new system but just wanted to ask.

In regards to new systems. Most of the people I have coming out are Carrier dealers but some have other brands.

I live 30 miles south of Atlanta.
Natural gas costs .57 per therm
Electric is as follows

Summer
First 750 KWH is 7.8 cents
Above 750 KWH is 10.65 cents

Elec heat from Nov1 - May 31
First 750 KWH 7.4 cents
Above 750 KWH is 5.6 cents

What would be good options on new systems?

AC/80% furnace
AC/95% furnace
Heat pump/80%furnace

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Will post back with quotes.

Comments (17)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Just to be clear, downstairs furnace is located in attic? Home is on a slab?

I would stay with 80% eff two stage var speed furnace. My recommendation is Trane XV80 80 K size and a 15 SEER + AC condenser. I ran the numbers recently on a similar situation for Metro Atlanta resident. While there was a small advantage leveraging electric HP against 80% nat gas furnace, the difference was quite small and I deemed not significant for DF system. Of course, I am not a mind reader on future rates.

Other choice would be Carrier Infinity 80 70 K size. Tennessee homeowner just purchased same with 3 ton Infinity condenser , filter cabinet, and Infinity controller for $7.5 K, a great price.

Just for info, how large is downstairs zone?

Post back.

IMO

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is on a slab. Both air handlers are in the attic. Down stairs is approx 2000-2200 sq ft. Two story foyer in the middle of house. Downstairs has very few windows with direct sun exposure and a front porch roof covers the area of afternoon sun.. The carrier guy that just left was leaning toward infinity heatpump with 80% furnace. He checked all ductwork and measured outside of home and windows to calculate the load. Will post back when I hear some info. Thanks for your input!!!

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by jps190 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:53

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess I was right about the first guy. Just got the estimate. 8 different systems for each floor. The second floor which is currently a 2.5 ton system has estimate from a 3 ton AC up to a 4 ton heat pump.

Here is one of the 1st floor systems that he quoted.

Model 24ACC642A003
    Coil CNPVT4821ALA
    Furnace 59PHA110-1-20

New secondary drain pan
    New float switch
    Low Voltage
    Line voltage
    New outdoor pad
    Reclaim Freon
    Remove existing equip
    Add or increase supply vents as needed
    Use existing duct
    New supply plenum
    New return Plenum
    Reconnect to existing gas line
    Add additional return vent in ceiling
    Standard Digital thermostat.

$7300

add $950 for 95% furnace

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Absurd...

Price is good. The way the equipment is speced is terrible.

IMO

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TD

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have 2 more people coming on Friday. The other guy that came this afternoon seemed to know his stuff. He said it will be a couple days before he gets a quote to me. Will post when I get some info. Thanks for your insight.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

jps

I would want to see a load calculation for cooling and heating for the main floor system..

This system was quoted for a Louisville location and included Infinity Controller and box filter cabinet. Price was $7.5 K.

6405563 Active Systems INFINITY 17 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANB736A**31 CNPV*3717AL*+UI 1050 840 58CV(A,X)070-12 36000 13.00 17.00 1 RCU-A-CB 256 Yes

70 K Infinity 80 furnace, Infinity 2 stage 3 ton condenser, matching ALA evap coil, qualifies for Fed Tax credit.

Trane quote on XV80 should be close but probably higher.

IMO

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the proposal I got back from the other guy. Option one uses the current furnace. Option three is the heat pump but I think he typed an A instead of an H in the model number. I will be getting a couple more options from him including the one TD suggested.

This post was edited by jps190 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 18:06

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got another quote to replace both AC units and keep the furnaces.

24ACC642
    ADP coil C42A17c
    Honeywell wifi TH8320WF

24ACC630
    ADP coil c30A14c
    Honeywell wifi TH8320WF

Reuse lineset, new pads, ect. no ductwork

$8653

Thinking of going this route since everyone has said the furnaces look brand new inside.

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Have them use the new all-aluminum Carrier coils instead. The only reason I can see them using the ADP coils is due to the potentially higher (computer-simulated) efficiency ratings. If the existing furnaces don't have variable speed or ECM blower motors (and the Lennox G40's do not), your actual operating efficiency won't be 16 SEER although these are the Performance 16 air conditioners. So, you could ask for an estimate on the Performance 13 models instead. Up to you.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:27

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Agree with Ryan...stay away from the 16 SEER Performance condensers and go with 13 SEER Performance condensers if using your old conventional furnaces. And as said many times, no third party coils. Go with the correct matching Carrier coil ALA suffix.

IMO

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I will get a quote on the Perf 13 series. TD.... I won't be getting any third party coils. I don't want you to be mad at me. ;-)))

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I heard back from the HVAC guy about the Perf 13 series. He said I could go with the 13 but he still recommended the 16. His reasoning was that I will still gain about 1.5 seer going with the 16 even with the current furnaces. Since the price difference is only about $275 per unit I would make a good amount of that back and if a furnace does die I will be able to get up to 16 seer with a new furnace. What do ya think?

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Those are valid reasons and at that cost I would probably go with it, but that is completely up to you. Another way you could look at is: get the Performance 13, and when the furnaces fail replace them with variable speed furnaces that will increase the SEER by about the same amount that you would by going with the Performance 16 models now. There would likely not be a combination rating to quantify any such efficiency you would gain with the new furnaces, however. If you get the Performance 16 now you will have a documented, AHRI matched system with a specific SEER and EER.

I am more concerned with what he said about his selection of ADP evaporator coils (which you have been quoted), not ones manufactured by Carrier and designed to be used with their equipment. In a straight cooling application, the ADP coils are not a problem with an indoor TEV (metering device), but I personally much prefer to match manufacturer-manufacturer with split systems. Carrier aluminum evaporator coil model number would look like CNPVP****ALA.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 11:18

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would rather see you get one complete matching system now and leave the upstairs working system for another day.

IMO

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Ryan

The ADP coils were a different guy. The one I am going to hire quoted the carrier coils. TD I would like a complete system as well but the second floor condenser sounds like it is on its last legs, lots of rust and noise. I just can't justify tossing a perfectly good furnace and buying a new one for 2 grand while keeping an AC system that could go at any time. Even the first guy (the salesman) said I would be throwing money away buy buying new furnaces.

• jps190
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I am going with TD's advice and just saving the upstairs for another day.

Getting the following.

AHRI 3656565 16 Seer

ACC636
    PHA90
    CVPVP4821AL
    EZ-Flex Media
    Honeywell Wifi Touch

$6041 after various rebates.

Does this sound like a fair price?