Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC Zoning

Posted by psp212 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 12:23

We are gut renovating a four story narrow townhouse. Our square footage per floor is approximately 680. We are in a row, so only our front and back walls could be considered exterior. Our orientation is generally East/West. We are creating 2 zones for HVAC. (4 zones too expensive.) We are now in middle of debate with a couple of engineers over how to zone specifically. One says 1 zone should be the front of the house, all four floors and the other zone the back of the house. The other says the first two floors should be 1 zone, and the upper 2 floors should be another. It seems to us, that the more cost effective option for heating/cooling bills would be the first two floors 1 zone, upper 2 floors the other. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC Zoning

Can you describe what is the use of each floor? This will help determine the zoning options.

o

Yes -- the garden level has a play room, an office, and bathroom. The 1st level is completely open living/dining/kitchen. The 2nd level is 2 bedrooms, bathroom. 3rd level is 2 bedrooms, bath, and laundry room. We have a basement that is not getting heating/cooling at this point. Thanks!

o

It makes the most sense to make the two bedroom floors one zone, and the lower two floors the other zone. This way you can keep the lower two floors cool during the day while having the bedrooms warmer. At night you would cool down the bedrooms, and raise the temperture of the lower two floors. This is the best way to manage both cost and comfort.

o

Thanks. It seems like common sense to me to do it that way. I would be interested to hear an argument for the other zoning method if anyone has one!

o

Have you though of mini split ductless? You zone each level that way.

o

Theoretical argument for front/back zoning would be that cooling load on west glass can be higher than east. You may be able to use smaller tonnage system on east, larger on west, and have maybe some better redundancy with that setup.

o

We had mini split ductless priced out, and was more expensive than forced air. Also, we want filtration due to severe allergies in the family.

I can see the theoretical argument for front/back -- however, we only have two windows on the west side at each level (like I said the house is narrow) so not sure that it would make that much difference.

Thanks for your comments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here