Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadadenada

apt. air conditioning unit for 1200 sq feet; not working

nadadenada
10 years ago

Hi, my wife and I live in North Carolina on a third floor apartment. We have been living with sauna like heat in our third story apartment. Last month, July, we had an electric bill for $193 for 1200 some odd square feet. Yes, I understand the mechanics of heat rising living on the third floor. However, here is what we are being told by the maintenance guy:

- "here in North Carolina, or anywhere this far south, living on a third floor, it depends on the "atmosphere"; and that there is nothing we can do"

Ok, but the last three times they refilled the freon in the unit and that fixed the problem. Apparently, the atmosphere this time/month is worse than in recent memory. But for two nights in a row, I felt the air coming out of the vents, and there is absolutely no cool air.

I don't know enough about air conditioning units to know if I am being "hoodwinked"...so thought I would post the question. I think this is for the air conditioning category, and not the apartment category -- mods.

thanks for any and all help

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Yes hoodwinked.

Gas n go freon refills without finding leak is unprofessional at the least.

Maintenance men in apt complexes are notorious for being incompetent as far as HVAC.

A pro needs to look at system. Invite the maintenance guy to join the pro on the visit. He might learn something. And then deduct the bill for the service from your rent with copy of bill attached.

Document everything. I would have called the property management by now.
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

IMO

• nadadenada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply tigerdunes.

Well, he (I swear they look like and act exactly like the three/two stooges), had an answer to the leaking freon (which would indicate a broken unit; i.e., something they would have to fix) in that he said the "caps" were newly replaced and that there should not be anything wrong with the unit.

As I mentioned in my post, according to Curly, Mo or, i guess Larry, it depends on the "atmosphere".

I do call call management every time this happens and they rely on Larry and Curly -- their maintenance experts to let them know if the unit needs replacing---ha.

I am debating whether I should call a local expert out to take a look at the system. Whatever Mo, oh no, sorry Larry did this morning, seems to be working so I guess the "atmosphere" is now in sync with the moon, planets and their logic! We will NOT be renewing our lease and I am debating on whether this breaks the lease terms on their part.

• klem1
    10 years ago

You need to be talking to the local tenant's repersentation group. In Texas,within 24 hours of recipt of notice,the unit must be fixed or you are living in a hotel or another apt,or you are out of the lease. However,you can't hire it fixed and bill the apt or deduct from rent.

Oh btw,the "atmosphere" is in triple didgits but it's 74 deg F indoors on the 75th floor of the JP Morgan Chase Building in Houston Tx.