Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on Heat Pump

Posted by Beaufortdan (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 11:48

I just moved to South Carolina, and have never had a Heat Pump in our houses. I have a 1300 sq. ft., 2 story house. There are two 1. 1/2 ton Goodman units, one for each floor ( about 10 years old). I live near the ocean, and was told by one HVAC pro to stay with American Standard, as he said others would not hold up as well. In looking through numerous sites, it seems Trane/am. Standard, Carrier, Rheem, and Bryant are trusted names. Is it worth the extra money to go with the American Standard? What should I insist on when in buying mode? Any advice is appreciated...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on Heat Pump

Beaufort

Three tons is alot of BTU firepower for 1300 sq ft home.

For a coastal location with harsh salt water environment. I would want a seacoast shield rating to prevent problems and extend life.

First choice would be Trane/AmStd brands.

Here is my HP checklist.

Obviously correct sizing is important. If you are unsure, then request a load calculation or even perform it yourself for a nominal fee online.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
best matching VS air handler
full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
scroll compressor preferred
electronic demand defrost preferred
thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
staged backup heat strips
new and correctly sized refrigerant line set

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes.
see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

o

Do I have to have 2 units, or is it better to have separate units for both floors?

o

For best comfort, it is preferred to have two separate systems over one system even with zoning controls. With that said, your living space is relatively small.

Discuss options with your dealer.

IMO

o

Ok, one last issue before I post the four quotes...today a Trane salesman inspected our unit, and questioned whether our first floor inside unit had ever been serviced. It lies horizontally in our closet, and he said there was not enough clearance to clean or repair the coils. The unit is wider than the access space, and he wants to install an upright unit in another part of the closet, where we will lose some space. Is this true? The other companies did not mention this...even one American Standard Company rep I got off their website...

o

Ok, one last issue before I post the four quotes...today a Trane salesman inspected our unit, and questioned whether our first floor inside unit had ever been serviced. It lies horizontally in our closet, and he said there was not enough clearance to clean or repair the coils. The unit is wider than the access space, and he wants to install an upright unit in another part of the closet, where we will lose some space. Is this true? The other companies did not mention this...even one American Standard Company rep I got off their website...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here