Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_sun119

Urgent: How to Ventilate Basement

Kevin Sun
10 years ago

Hi all,

First time poster. I learned so much by reading through the posts. I am a first-time home owner, the previous owner did a lousy job in the central AC system. He put the return air next to the boiler and hot water heater in the utility room of the basement.

After talking to many HVAC contractors, I decide to have 3 12*6 inch returns near the red area on the right side of the picture on the first floor. I will keep 1 small return in the basement. All four of the returns will go through a filtration system.

There are 2 vents down at the basement. I hope that the 2 vents and 1 small return will keep the basement ventilated.

My biggest concern now is how to ventilate the staircase. Currently, the air flows down to the return in the basement through the bottom of the door. After I move the return upstairs, there will be no air flow in the staircase. Please see the picture. It already smells musty in the staircase if I turnoff AC because humidity rises to the top of the staircase and stays there. I guess it will become worse after I move the return upstairs. Anyone has suggestion to solve this problem? I want to keep the door closed because I have a 15-month old at home.

Thank you!

Comments (4)