Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xnavyss

Advice Please

xnavyss
11 years ago

The first week of July my AC Heat Pump went out on me. It was a 10 Seer 13 year old Goodmen. It was a 2 Ton and the house was 1180 sf. Since then we turned half the Garage into a Room with new duck work added. This added an approximate 150 sf for a now total of approx 1350. This room is usually closed off most of the time.

It was suggested with get a 2 1/2 ton. Money was tight so we purchased a 15 SEER Goodman System Unit.

This unit turns on and off about every 10 minutes. It does not matter what time of day or what the temp is inside or outside. We have the Therometer set at 77.

We are located in the Tallahassee Florida area.

My first full month electric bill indicates my KW usage is about the same as it was for the same month for the last 2 years.

When I question the AC Company about this, I am being told there is nothing wrong with the system and it is most likely due to the humitity.

Thanks

Joe

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

So exactly what is the question here?

Have you taken any inside humidity readings?

You may be in the middle as far size, 2 ton too small, 2 1/2 ton too large.

Has a load calc been performed either by yourself or installing dealer?

You have gone up in size about 25%. If your KW usage (not bill) is about the same, I would say you are doing just fine on this issue alone.

Please state your issue.

IMO

• xnavyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry if I was not clear enough.

I was told that this new AC should reduce my electric bill by about 25 percent.

Also, is it normal to go on and off about every 10 minutes?

Thanks

• mike_home
    11 years ago

On and off every 10 minutes should like the AC is short cycling and is oversized. Did the old heat pump do an adequate job of maintaining the indoor temperature?

Do you have the model numbers of the Goodman heat pump and the new coil? I suspect you don't have a 15 SEER system. In addition when calculating the KWH usage, you need to subtract out the electricity used by all the other appliances.

Finally unless you have a cool to dehumidify sytem, the amount of humidity is not going have much impact on the electricity usage. I have some doubts about this contractor based on what you have stated in your posts.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

On the electric alone, at most you would save 5% per SEER increase in KWH usage. That would be 10% savings max from 13 SEER to 15 SEER. But you have gone up in size by 25% which would negate any savings. I don't think you have a legitimate complaint on electric usage.

What are your typical runtimes in the middle of the afternoon? How many cycles per hour?

Have you taken any inside humidity readings?

What is your temp set point on thermostat?

Post back.

IMO

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

Hey xnavyss,

What boats?

SaltiDawg

• xnavyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As far as Boats?

USS Jack (SSN 605)1976 and 1977,
    USS Gato (SSN 615) 1977 and 1978 and
    USS Nathan Hale (SSBN 623) (Blue) 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985.

Don't have serial numbers, but was told it was a 13 sheer compressor and a EER Heat Pump. Paperwork says it is a 15 SEER System.