Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lokar_gw

a/c amp draw

lokar
10 years ago

Howdy... the rla on my xr12 trane condensing unit sticker says 25 (or so) ... checking just the compressor draw during normal running, (not with fan), showed 26 amps, ac guy said it should be drawing about half, so apx 13 or 14 amp draw during normal warmed up running.... best I can find is that it should be running at or about the displayed rla of 25, not 14... this disparity is what he's using as a major factor in his recommendation to replace the unit... using twice the amps, must be laboring and need replacement, is his theory. It is rattling and is gonna fail, but maybe not as soon as he thinks. Anyway, basic question is whether my unit should be pullling the rla rating amps or half of that, as the ac guy says. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Tinmantu
    10 years ago

Has the tech verified that the indoor and outdoor coils are clean and that it's not overcharged. That will cause high amps due to adding gas to make the house cooler without checking coils. (Gas and Go)
    I would think that system in good condition should be running in mid to low teens.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

It sounds like the current draw is high.

Your situation illustrates the need for the home owner to demand that upon installation of a new system that the initial parameters such as refrigerant charge, pressures, current draw, etc. be documented and retained somewhere handy, such as at the fan coil unit, so that you have a âÂÂbaselineâ for future comparisons and to facilitate future trouble shooting and diagnostics.

Homeowners should write this as a condition or clause into their HVAC contracts that this must be done and the documents be produced before final payment is made. Furthermore, it is becoming easier than ever with the introduction of digital electrical utility meters and âÂÂSmartâ meters for the home owner to directly measure in kWhr and to compute the electrical cost of running their systems by turning off everything else in the home but the HVAC system and taking the measurements.

IMPO

SR

• lokar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the comments....

coils checked and reasonably clean, was low on freon so leak is suspected, didn't search for it because after the amp draw reading and the noise it was making, we had decided to change the system anyway...

gonna go through with the install tomorrow, will make sure they agree to setting me up with some baseline docs before they get into it...

thanks again...

• lokar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, and when they swap it out, what's the going philosophy .... is it worth it for me to keep the condensing unit, air handler, and copper supply lines to scrap/sell? I'd try to have them draw the old system down first, so I wouldn't have to worry about that...

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

lokar,

with the manuals and install instructions that came with my Carrier Equipment cane an Installation Checklist for the Installer. (It was not even looked at during the install. :-) )

If there is one with your gear, it might be a "talking point" for you to go over with the installers.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Regarding scrap recovery, the agreement I signed said they'd do this and they'd do that and they haul away all debris.

When I asked about my recycling or selling for scrap during the install, they pointed out they counted on the scrap sale as part of the pricing and pointed out I had signed up for that.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 17:54

• annestrauss
    10 years ago

I am getting a new system, is there a list of things i should require such as below (a good start)

I like what was posted in earlier post

"Your situation illustrates the need for the home owner to demand that upon installation of a new system that the initial parameters such as refrigerant charge, pressures, current draw, etc. be documented and retained somewhere handy, such as at the fan coil unit, so that you have a âÂÂbaselineâ for future comparisons and to facilitate future trouble shooting and diagnostics.

Homeowners should write this as a condition or clause into their HVAC contracts that this must be done and the documents be produced before final payment is made. Furthermore, it is becoming easier than ever with the introduction of digital electrical utility meters and âÂÂSmartâ meters for the home owner to directly measure in kWhr and to compute the electrical cost of running their systems by turning off everything else in the home but the HVAC system and taking the measurements."

Appreciate all help, thanks Anne

• lokar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, saltidawg, I'll make a grab for the paperwork if they don't seem interested...

anne, not that bigga deal since I've got my answer, but nice hijack! If you have a question that doesn't relate to and further answer the op's (mine), you should start a new thread... and really, that looks like an such excellent question that if I'd seen it on the main page, I'd'a looked into it. It's so basic, in fact, that I think there maybe should be a sticky somewhere on the board that addresses that exact question, at least as part of a "steps to buying a new system" guide. Might be a big list, might be small, either way it'd be nice to know that we did our best as customers to get a good system, good installation, and not get screwed.

z