Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairygary

Need advice on final HVAC quote

hairygary
10 years ago

So our air conditioner went out and decided its time for a new furnace and A/C as its from 1978. The home is a 2500 split level home (1250 sq ft ea/level). it is located in NW indiana just outside of Chicago. I received 3 quotes and the cheapest quote is the one I want to go with, but he wants to install the largest furnace, which bothers me.

Quote 1: Carrier Comfort 92% furnace 100,000 btu and 3 ton 13 seer a/c. $4600 with 5 yr labor/10 year parts

Quote 2: Armstrong 93% furnace 70,000 btu and 2.5 ton 13 seer Ac. $5250 with 1yr labor/10year parts

Quote 3: Luxaire 95% furnace 60,000 btu and 2.5 ton 13 seer AC. $5450 with 10yr labor/10 year parts

Quote 4: Carrier Comfort 95% furnace 60,000 btu and 3 ton 13 seer a/c. $7000 with 1 yr labor/ 10 year parts.

All furnaces are single stage.I want to go with quote 1 for price, warranty but furnace seems way to big. I called the first three quotes and they all stood by the size of their furnace. I am thinking of calling quote 1 and telling them I want 80,000 btu furnace and if they wont move on.

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Don't tell him what to install - he's the pro.

Ask him why he wants to put in the larger furnace ... maybe he calculated something differently than the others.

Or maybe he got a really great buy on a bunch of them and it's the last one and it's cluttering up his building. I don't think an over-spec furnace is much of a problem.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Wouldn't comment without all model numbers including the evap coil.

Definitely no higher than 80 K size on a high eff condensing model furnace, maybe even lower taking into consideration the blower size needed to handle the correct size of the AC condenser.

Many dealers still are apparently unaware of the low heating and cooling load of finished areas that are at or partially below grade. Any of your sq footage fall into that category? If so, I would definitely want to see a load calculation professional performed and given to you in writing on the software letterhead. No transposal of numbers. A load calculation usually takes about two hours if taken correctly.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 15:25

• hairygary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No load calculation was done by any of the 4 which came out. Only quote 3 and 4 gave me model numbers. the lower level is half above grade and half below. We close most of the vents downstairs in the summer. I know a manual J calculation is supposed to be done, but it was not.

quote 1 told me it should be that big and gave me some arithmatic equation like square foot x ceiling height x area number (was like 5 or 6).

Quote 2 told me he would not need a 100,000 btu for this house unless there was a hole in the wall.

Quote 3 told me he puts 60,000 btu in like 80% of his houses he does, which didnt seem like a good explanation to me .

I didnt call Quote 4 back as his price was crazy high.

• udarrell
    10 years ago

You can run a free online load-calc; click the calculator & use 0.4-ACH & the volume of the level you're figuring, to get the CFM to use in the blank line for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: online load-calc

• mike_home
    10 years ago

In my opinion you don't have a valid quote unless you have the model numbers of all equipment. You are asking for problems if you do not get this.

Calculating load sizes based on area and volume results in over sized equipment.

Don't fall in love with the lowest price. In general you get what you pay for.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

OP is bottom fishing.

Usually you get what you pay for and that includes both good and bad.

IMO

• hairygary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not bottom fishing, however price is always a concern. I liked quote #1 because of the product, warranty by contractor and lifetime heat exchanger warranty on furnace from Carrier, but my concern of course was the large size of the furnace.

I attempted to use the manual J calculator online, but I dont understand all of the variables in it.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Hairy

" I received 3 quotes and the cheapest quote is the one I want to go with, but he wants to install the largest furnace, which bothers me."

Quote 1: Carrier Comfort 92% furnace 100,000 btu and 3 ton 13 seer a/c. $4600 with 5 yr labor/10 year parts

I call that bottom fishing. I would prefer to have a load calc in hand.

No lower than the Performance series furnace and AC condenser.
    As far as furnace I suggest no higher than 80 K high eff with upgrade price to Mdl 59TP5 or 59SP5, 3 ton Performance 16 AC, and matching ALA evap coil. I want the System to qualify for Fed Tax Credit. Add the Carrier Thermidistat.

A much better choice.

IMO

• udarrell
    10 years ago

In Chicago, summer design cooling 91ðF, 74ðF (WB) wet bulb, 43% RH; in South Bend Closest I could find.

Try that load-calc again & tell us what you get; a lot of he windows will be the same sf.

When you run a load-calc it will probably show around 70,000-Btuh of heating & perhaps 2.5 to 3-Ton of cooling.

Make sure the duct system & Return-Air filter-area(s) are sized large enough to handle the required CFM in both heating & cooling. If possible two Return-Air filter areas is best as it should have 325-sq.ins., per-ton of cooling.

Manual D requires 300-fpm velocity through a 1" deep throw-away filter; 3-ton needs 1200-cfm, 325 per ton at 60% of physical area; 945-sq.ins,= 585 / 144 is 4.06-sf for a free-air-area (Ak) using 4-sf; 1200 / 4-sf is 300-fpm velocity through the filter area is within 'M'-D requirements.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler