Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capacitor Sizing

Posted by vgg659 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 10:43

I have a York H1DA024S06A condensor that is still running, but I would like to replace the capacitor(s) because they are leaking. Here's the problem. The capacitors have been replaced before, and I suspect that the wrong size (MDF) was substituted.

I suspect that the original unit came with a dual motor 30/5 370v run capacitor. Although I can't find ANY information on a York H1DA024 condensing unit, all other York two ton 208/230v single phase 60 hz units (i.e., H4DB024S06A, H1RA024S06) that I can find on the internet show a York capacitor part # 024-24778-000, which is a 30/5 370v capacitor.

The present capacitors in the unit are a 40 MDF 370v and a 7.5 MDF 370v.

Can someone verify my suspicions, and recommend the correct capacitor for my York condensor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Capacitor Sizing

Correct capacitor is a 30/4/370 vac.

Material: S1-02423296700
Material Description: CAP,RUN DUAL,30/4MFD,370V,ROUND
SpecificationsSMS_Capacitor
Application - Type RUN-DUAL
Footprint, Dimension A 2.00
Footprint, Dimension B (Blank If Round)
Height Maximum, Dimension H 3.88
Microfarads (Dual=Compr/Fan) 30.0/4.0
Can Style -Shape ROUND
Volts 370

o
Capacitor Brands

Thanks for your help.

Any opinion about capacitor manufacturers/brands?

Is GE Genteq high quality? Or does it matter?

o

Great work Fluffy!!!

o

An oversize capacitor has no real effect, an undersized one can prolong starting (or even result in not starting).

o

I recently had two new units installed at premises where I do not live. With one of the "permanent" markers, I wrote the capacitor specs on the inside of the removeable cover over the capacitor space. And I bought a replacement cap of the correct size to have on hand.

o
Condensor Fan Part Info

Hey Fluffy (or anyone else), can you get me some information (part #, etc.) on my York H1DA024S06A condensor fan???

o

I have replaced my capacitors with the sizes Fluffy recommended (OEM recommended size), and my condensor seems to be running more quietly. Is it my imagination?

o

"Is it my imagination?"

Possibly.

Compressors and fan motors on condensers are most commonly capacitor start, but NOT capacitor run.

The capacitor is only in the circuit until the motor comes up to speed, it is then disconnected by a centrifugal switch in the motor.

o

>> most commonly capacitor start

My York condensors have run capacitors.

o

vgg659 that's some serious faulty info your giving there. most common by far are the run caps and on the lower hp motors only run caps without any start windings.

o

>> that's some serious faulty info your giving there

heatseeker, how is my information faulty? I'm stating that my condensors use RUN capacitors. No faulty information from me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here