Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C stopped working and I'm getting low voltage in the line

Posted by evgenik25 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 10:37

My a/c stopped working last night, I tried to troubleshoot the control board in the gas furnace, but discovered that the electrical line that connects to the furnace has 2.2 volts. Voltage is 120 at the fuse and I'm not sure why there is a drop in voltage. Does anyone know what can cause this?

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C stopped working and I'm getting low voltage in the line

Are you measuring this the 24 volt supply side? If it is then you may have a bad transformer, or some type of short which is pulling the voltage down to 2.2 volts.

o

Thank you for your reply. I'm measuring on the primary side. I've disconnected the transformer and measured it directly from the electrical line.

o

Are you saying the 120v supply is measuring 2.2 volts? If that is true then you either have a bad circuit breaker or an open/poor connection somewhere back to the circuit breaker panel.

o

Yeah, the 120v supply line is measuring 2.2 volts. Circuit breakers are fine I even replaced the one for the furnace yesterday. I noticed that the supply line doesn't run directly from the circuit breaker to the furnace, any idea on what else it could connect to (maybe the outside unit)?

o

If the AC is part of a spilt system with an outside condenser, then the supply to the outside should be 240V. It sounds like there is an electrical problem somewhere in the house.

Have you done any recent work in the house where an electrical line may have been cut or altered?

o

Fuses on the outside disconnect?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here