Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooling house without attic

Posted by furletcity (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 10:34

The second floor of my two story attic-less log home is unbearably hot. The bedrooms have window ac units, but the hall, bath and loft area are uncomfortably hot. What are my options for exhausting this hot air to the outside? I've read mixed reviews of the Air King 9166 window fan and if anyone here has any experience with it, I'd love to hear from them. Also, could I install some type of roof vent even though the second floor ceiling boards are the bottom layer of the roof? I would love to figure out a way to get rid of the hot air upstairs!! Thank you so much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooling house without attic

A window fan could work, but if you have a peaked ceiling that is where the hot air is going to concentrate. You will probably need interior fans to move that air in the upstairs combined with a window fan to exhaust the hot air. Dont forget an open window.

Perhaps one of those 2 fan window units? One side blows in fresh air while the other side exhausts.

o
RE: Cooling house without attic

Thank you for your reply, busboy! Definitely, the fact that my 2 nd floor is immediately under my roof is the main cause of it being sooooo hot. I've tried the little two way fans, but they weren't terribly effective. I was hoping someone would know of a stronger fan option. I would love one of the old-time whole house fans that fit into a window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here