Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakko_gw

HVAC Quote - Price Check?

wakko
12 years ago

Austin, TX and it's hot. Current unit is a Trane XE1000 and has a leaky coil somewhere. have recharged R22 past 2 years and its most likely needing a new coil.. Anyone know what the cost of those are? Repair guy said its around $1800.

So i've been looking into getting the HVAC replaced (Heat Pump)

Trane XR15 with a variable speed motor. 4-TON

15 SEER 12.5EER, Thermostat TCONT802

10 Year Compressor, 10 Year Parts warranty

$6628 before any rebates + $500 for a 10 Year Labor Warranty

Is the $500 labor warranty excessive or is that right?

other quote was for a payne system

16SEER and 13 EER $5600 with a new thermostat too.

Any pros or cons to both these systems?

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Wakko

Price on repair may be on high side but not by much. I personally think it wouldn't be cost effective to repair unit. How old is system?

I would not have a Payne.

You would want the 803 stat for better dehumidification. BTW, this is a
    Honeywell stat just rebranded for Trane. the mdl number is #8321.

What is mdl number of the var speed air handler? Makes a difference?

What size heat strip?

What about whole house air filter cabinet? New line set included?

Here are a few ideas on HPs.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty compressor and parts

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• wakko
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't think so either, unit is 14 years old. Manufacturer date 1997.

Yes, we are replacing both the air handler outside and the heat pump inside.

not sure which variable blower he's giving us what is the optimal one to get? Does variable speed make that much of a difference? I've been looking at good installers, and while not an authorized dealer, the trane installer looks knowledgeable and spent over an hour answering my questions and providing me tips during the quote estimate (not salesmanlike). I asked him about ductwork and he got his ladder and took a look at the insulation and ductwork said they looked sealed.

the lineset will not be replaced. He said that there's a doucment from TRANE stating the linesets do not need to be replaced. he said it will be flushed and vacuumed.

Things i did not understand.

Size of Heat Strip? is this the cabinet with the heatpump? whole house airfilter cabinet? is that the same as the cabinet the heatpump is located in? he is looking to install a bigger return for the unit.

The quote for the electronic demand defrost XL15i was way out of budget. so i think the XR15 is the only current option.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Wakko

Part of this forum's duties are to educate and inform.

When you speak of $500 labor warranty, I assume you mean 10 yr extended warranty for labor. Price is good. However, this needs to be a Trane warranty. The third party warranties are of dubious value. I would not have one from a third party company. Too many problems.

Now to your previous post.

Heat strip is your backup resistance heat and it seems that is what you are using now for winter heating. It is quite expensive and the reason your winter heating is so expensive. What size does your dealer propose? It would be measured in KWs and is installed inside your air handler.

You should find out the VS air handler mdl that dealer proposes. Yes, that is the way to go. You provide the mdl number and I will check to see if that's your best choice.

How many returns do you have? What size is your home? Ductwork is located in attic? How do you filter your return air. I prefer a box filter cabinet that would be installed at return entry to air handler.

I prefer line set be replaced. However if dealer intends to flush existing, then the size must be correct to the Trane spec. This detail can not be overlooked. Close does not count!

Both the XR15 and XL15i heat pump outside condensers have electronic demand defrost which is the best.

IMO

• wakko
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tiger,

the heat is 15KW, but we often don't use the heat as we can stay bundled up and our place doesn't get too cold in the winter.

Dealers said he could install new lines but would have to run them outside of the house. Not sure i would want that due to looks and possible HOA violations.

house is approximately 2300 square feet. one return is currently installed and approximately 18x24? Ductwork is currently in the attic.

Box filter Cabinet - Unsure what this is. Our current set up, the air handler sits in a cabinet and right under the cabinet is one of the standard air filters. Directly under that is the return for the air. it's kind of a pain in the a$$ because the media is so small and hard to get in the unit.

• wakko
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Outdoor Unit Model # is 4TWR5048E1 and the Air Handler Unit Model # is 4TEE3F65B1

will this qualify for the fed tax credit as well? it looks to me like it does.