Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echobelly

Filters on older AC unit...

echobelly
9 years ago

I've recently purchased an older house with a Reem AC system retrofitted. The AC seems to be about 20 years old, but functions fine, if not a little noisy. There are air handlers in two closets, on opposite sides of the house. These have washable filters, one is made of a plastic coated fiber material, like used in upholstery, the other is a flat plastic frame with a fine window screen material. Neither filter fits tight, and in the six months I've had the house I've cleaned them twice, but there really wasn't anything to clean off, as the don't fit tight and the air just goes around them. My question is, can I attach one of the new disposable accordion paper filters in front of the vent panel? It would be pretty easy, either with clips, or initially just duct taping it on. This would give a tight seal so any air going into the returns would be going through the filter. My only concern is this might put a strain on the motor, as the filters it's had are not slowing down the air transfer at all. That would be easier than having to open panels with screw drivers, pull out filters, wash them, dry them, and re-install, so more likely to be changed frequently.

Comment (1)