Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cursed 5 ton zoned system.

Posted by tgkx (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 7:42

Hi everyone, i need help as i feel ive run out of ideas. I have a two zone 5 ton carrier ac in my new 2800 sq ft home. It is two stories. I have had two separate companies out at least seven times each trying to fix problems with condensation on the outisde of the air handler in the attic and the system tripping the DATS sensor for too cold.

Tonight i measured the air temp with a probe just after the evap coil and it read 53 degrees. The air before the coil read 77 degrees. I also measured some places on the exterior of the air handler with a infrared sureface gauge and got readings in some places at 55 degrees and at others 45 degrees!

What is wrong with this cursed system causing it to sweat so badly and get surfaces so cold???

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cursed 5 ton zoned system.

5-tons in a 2800sq ft home with zoning! Where do you live, on Mercury?

Seriously, was a Manual J load calculation done? Post the model numbers for all the equipment installed.

SR

o
Duct Work

As a follow-up, can your zoned duct work handle 5-tons?

SR

o
RE: Cursed 5 ton zoned system.

Hey just saw your followup. I almost live on mercury (Houston, TX).

Models are as follows:
Carrier 58STA110-22 130 Series furnace
Carrier 24abb460a310 compressor
Carrier cnphp6124ataabaa coil
Honeywell HZ311 damper control board

We've been through numerous iterations trying to get enough ducting to properly flow 5 tons worth of air. Right now we have a supply plenum that feeds two rectangular dampers (1 for each zone) which are apparently rated at 1100 CFM each. There is also a bypass damper with the weighted arm for adjusting the extra air, its run with 12" flex. It loops way back around into a mixing box on the return side.

Current problems are its sweating on the outside of the supply plenum. The furnace blower is set to high speed. AC company measured static pressure (took a reading at the return side and supply sides) and said it was .4. Specifically, he measured at the return before the air hits the filter and on the supply side after the coil.

I can get you any other info ya need such as air temp etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here