Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Heating the dog room floor

oldbat2be
11 years ago

This room is approximately 250 square feet and has a concrete floor, currently carpeted. We are planning on tiling this floor in the near future (12x24 wood tile planks) and would like to review options for heating the floor. This is not the primary source of heat in the room (HVAC recently installed; two vents at different ends of this room), and we often have a fire going in the wood burning stove in here too. Home is in New England, built in the mid 60's. DH is very handy and will be hopefully be doing the work.

I'd very much appreciate some suggestions as to the general technology and specific products to use/avoid. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clarification - goal is to warm the floor vs. heat the room.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Is this really a room where the dog or dogs live most of the time?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my - after thinking I'd given all the relevant information... thanks very much for asking! No, it's not really a dog room. We will have a fire going in here often during the winter and the kids will watch TV in here at night during the summer as well.

Dog Room is what we are used to calling it. It's an addition, which connects to two other sections of the house. It used to have electric heat (which being in NE of course we didn't use in the winter, WAY too expensive) so typically would just close off the doors. In milder weather, it was perfect for the dogs.

We recently have completed some renovations; from the plans:

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

radiant floor heating?

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

There are numerous heated pet mats and beds available that use very little electricity compared to heating a whole floor. We used a hard plastic version for putting newborn calves on that were born in the wet cold of fall and were slow getting around. The dogs lay on it in the winter when it isn't being used for a calf.

• david_cary
    11 years ago

If it has a concrete floor on the ground, your options are limited. You can use electric radiant but that isn't particularly cheap to install or use. It would be about $1500 in parts. And then you are basically using electric heat to heat up the slab and the earth, in addition to heating the floor.

Now if you rip up the slab, insulate it underneath and run pex tubing into the new slab and then heat the water with the wood stove..... Now you are talking. A slab should be about $1000 and the pex tubing is fairly cheap. Insulation would be a few hundred. A big project for sure. Also a huge payoff down the road.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I had to ask about the dog because if the floor is heated you must give the animals a place to get away from the heat.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

"I had to ask about the dog because if the floor is heated you must give the animals a place to get away from the heat."

Excellent point, says this ex-exhibitor and breeder of (English) Bulldogs.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County