Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating the dog room floor

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 7:23

This room is approximately 250 square feet and has a concrete floor, currently carpeted. We are planning on tiling this floor in the near future (12x24 wood tile planks) and would like to review options for heating the floor. This is not the primary source of heat in the room (HVAC recently installed; two vents at different ends of this room), and we often have a fire going in the wood burning stove in here too. Home is in New England, built in the mid 60's. DH is very handy and will be hopefully be doing the work.

I'd very much appreciate some suggestions as to the general technology and specific products to use/avoid. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating the dog room floor

Clarification - goal is to warm the floor vs. heat the room.

o

Is this really a room where the dog or dogs live most of the time?

o

Oh my - after thinking I'd given all the relevant information... thanks very much for asking! No, it's not really a dog room. We will have a fire going in here often during the winter and the kids will watch TV in here at night during the summer as well.

Dog Room is what we are used to calling it. It's an addition, which connects to two other sections of the house. It used to have electric heat (which being in NE of course we didn't use in the winter, WAY too expensive) so typically would just close off the doors. In milder weather, it was perfect for the dogs.

We recently have completed some renovations; from the plans:

o

radiant floor heating?

o

There are numerous heated pet mats and beds available that use very little electricity compared to heating a whole floor. We used a hard plastic version for putting newborn calves on that were born in the wet cold of fall and were slow getting around. The dogs lay on it in the winter when it isn't being used for a calf.

o

If it has a concrete floor on the ground, your options are limited. You can use electric radiant but that isn't particularly cheap to install or use. It would be about $1500 in parts. And then you are basically using electric heat to heat up the slab and the earth, in addition to heating the floor.

Now if you rip up the slab, insulate it underneath and run pex tubing into the new slab and then heat the water with the wood stove..... Now you are talking. A slab should be about $1000 and the pex tubing is fairly cheap. Insulation would be a few hundred. A big project for sure. Also a huge payoff down the road.

o

I had to ask about the dog because if the floor is heated you must give the animals a place to get away from the heat.

o

"I had to ask about the dog because if the floor is heated you must give the animals a place to get away from the heat."

Excellent point, says this ex-exhibitor and breeder of (English) Bulldogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here