Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derance

Rheem HVAC 3 ton / 14 Seer / 4 star + Furnace install

Derance
10 years ago

Checking in before possibly diving off the cliff...

Received a quote for $11,000 to replace our current 26 yr old 3 ton Carrier HVAC system with Rheem components. Straightforward swapout with no additional ductwork.

Good deal, okay deal or being taken to the cleaners?

Derance
San Diego, Ca.

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Would not make a comment without all model numbers including furnace, evap coil, outside condenser, thermostat and at least some idea of the scope of work involved for this replacement. Filter box, new lineset, etc

IMO

• Derance
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TD
    Rheem Equipment:
    Rcfl-hm3617cc - coil
    14ajm36a01- condenser (w2913)
    Rgpe-07namkr - furnace
    New filter
    New thermostat

Replacement installation:
    Replace existing Carrier equipment
    Use existing line set
    New pad (plastic-like material on top of existing concrete pad)
    Use existing ductwork

• udarrell
    10 years ago

$11,000 that is a lot of money.
    I would want a home energy efficiency audit; and heat loss heat gain load calculation; a thorough duct work evaluation and airflow testing to each room.

That new equipment must be awfully expensive compared to the 10 and 12-seer units I used to install.

They need to replace all of the refrigerant lines and install a matching evaporator coil, and of course, you'll want a thermostatic expansion valve metering device on the evaporator coil.

I believe Rheem has the Copeland Scroll Compressor.

Is very important to have the new equipment sized right; all put away to the free online load Calc. You have to read all of the instructions, get the square footage of the walls facing the outdoors the Windows plus the doors and what direction they face.

You can't save the load Calc when you got it completed, therefore, when you think you have it right print the results; then let us know what the results were when this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: free whole house online load Calc

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Derance

A nice two stage 80% eff furnace. Will require a two stage thermostat for best operation.

Don't believe that system qualifies for Fed Tax Credit. Wrong coil. See below system. It does qualify.

5584171 Active Systems RHEEM 14AJM SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY 14AJM36 RCFL-A*3821 1050 RGPE-07?BRQ? 36800 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 278 Yes

You should know that AC condenser is made South of the Border. I wouldn't have it.

Even for California, I think the pricing is absurd for a Rheem.

IMO