Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pros and cons of packaged gas/electric units in Los Angeles

Posted by hamconsulting (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 1:26

My co-worked says that he got a Trane packaged gas/electric unit and he's been very happy with it.

What are the pros and cons of a packaged gas/electric unit compared to a split system (gas furnace, coils, and outside a/c condenser)?

I'm thinking that I could put this gas/electric packaged unit (like a Trane XL13c or Trane XL14c -- not sure which one fits my needs better) in the attic.

My house:
1. Single story 1430 sqft in Los Angeles, built in 1952
2. Foundation = raised with 30" crawl space
3. Insulation= R-30 Insulation in attic; no insulation on walls or floor
4. 13 double-pane windows throughout house; 3 single pane windows in front (16 windows total)
5. Dark brown cement tile roof
6. Exterior doors = 2 (old wood front door with top half of door with glass panes; and new aluminum back door with quarter window)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pros and cons of packaged gas/electric units in Los Angeles

How do you heat and cool your home now?

Where is your ductwork system located?

That is a shallow crawl space?

Generally the downside on package units is efficiencies both AC and gas furnace. However, for your location a package unit might be indicated. The unit would have to be placed outside on a pad (concrete preferred) with good access to your ductwork system. However, if you have existing split system, there would need to be a very good reason to switch to a package system because obviously Bldg modification would be required.

IMO

o
RE: Pros and cons of packaged gas/electric units in Los Angeles

I have a split system and I'm no longer considering a packaged unit because I don't want it on the roof since my ducts are in the attic.

Installation of the packaged unit in the attic is not an option as far as I can tell and I wanted the packaged unit located where the current furnace is at. There's already electric and gas outlets up there and a return line for water.

Initially, I was not thinking about the building code modifications. I was just thinking in terms of the components in terms of reliability, efficiency, cost, and maintenance. I thought it would be similar to installing a separate washer and gas dryer compared to installing a single unit that does both wash and dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here