Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenomenon

Replacing A/C and gas furnace - Fredericksburg, VA

Fenomenon
9 years ago

Hello all,

The evaporator coil in my A/C unit has developed a large leak. Since it's a R22 system I decided to upgrade to a R410a system with a matching furnace.

My home is a two story colonial with a basement. The total above grade living area is ~2000 sq. ft. and there is ~900 sq. ft. of living area in the basement. The current A/C is a 3 ton unit and the current gas furnace is 80k.

I have one quote from a contractor. I know that a manual J calculation is highly recommended but I did not get one. I wanted to see what a direct replacement would cost.

I was quoted using Carrier components:
24ACC636A003 - Performance 16 3T air conditioner
CNPVP3617ALA - Coil
59TP5A080E17-16 - 95% 2 stage furnace
TP-PRH - Edge thermostat

This includes the installation cost and includes:
Lineset flush
Condensor pad
Condensor support feet
EZ-Trap
Condensate pump

The cash price quoted is $7528.

I just wanted to make sure that this system is packaged properly and is reasonable.

I don't have a quote for this yet but would there be any advantage of upgrading to the Performance 17 2-stage air conditioner to match the 2-stage furnace?

I was quoted for a similar Infinity system with the Infinity 17 and I believe the 96% furnace but it was ~$2000 more, ~$1000 if you factor in manufacturer rebate. However I couldn't see any significant advantages over the Performance series other than a spiffy looking thermostat. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Rob

This post was edited by Fenomenon on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 1:10

Comment (1)