Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace furnace while doing AC and coil?

Posted by JustaKid (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 0:43

So I am going ahead and replacing a condenser and a coil, and my furnace is about 20 years old but still working fine. Should I bite the bullet and do the furnace as well, or save a few grand and hold off on doing the furnace until I have to? I have posted before, this property is a rental likely to be sold within a few years. Will I get hit on home inspection bc of a 25 year old furnace and should I just go ahead and do it now? Will a furnace put in well today basically still be new in 5 years? Is there labor cost synergy substantial enough to merit me paying that money out now? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace furnace while doing AC and coil?

kid

first it would be best for you and forum members to keep all your posts in the original thread rather than multiple threads.

one can have simple repairs to a furnace this age. the major problems would be a cracked heat exchanger and a blown blower motor. this would make a repair to a furnace this age not cost effective.

I prefer a matched system. you are btm fishing since this is a rental unit. I don't care for either the Lennox or Rheem furnace quoted. You could do better but I understand the choice since it is rental. If money is not an issue, then I would go on and replace the furnace due to its age and just be done with it. You do want to properly weigh all warranty differences.

You will get a better overall price now replacing everything now rather than wait and replace an old furnace at a later date. There is little to no value on old furnaces whether one yr old or five yr old. If your existing furnace was 10 yrs old or less with a problem free history, I would not replace it. A 20+ yr old furnace is an entirely different matter.

make certain you qualify the dealers providing quotes.

IMO

o
RE: Replace furnace while doing AC and coil?

Thanks again tiger, will keep posts consolidated. You dont like the furnaces for what reasons, realiability, efficiency, what? The Lennox dealer, although I am not thrilled with the brand, came highly recommended and has the service contract for the common area HVAC system and has done several of the neighbors units. I have checked his references and BBB. Are these warranties usually transferrable? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here